Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions wanted for securing fused flower to quilted quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-wanted-securing-fused-flower-quilted-quilt-t295991.html)

clevermom3kids 04-05-2018 04:22 PM

Suggestions wanted for securing fused flower to quilted quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I made a bargello variation quilt with vertical strips between the pieces and it has fused flowers On Top of the quilt. The directions called for fusing the flowers After it was quilted (I assume so there aren't vertical quilt lines going through the flowers). Since I don't do much fused applique I thought I'd ask the experts what would work best: typical zigzag stitch around the edges, a blanket stitch by hand or machine, or some big stitch running stitch by hand. What concerns me is that I'm going through the thickness of the completed quilt to get these to stay on. The fusing went well, but if I wash it without additional stitching, I imagine it would fall off over time. Any ideas?

DJ 04-05-2018 04:58 PM

I would definitely want to stitch them on as you say. The technique is pretty much up to you. I use a machine blanket stitch myself.

Loos beautiful! Do you plan to show the whole quilt? Hope so.

Teen 04-05-2018 06:45 PM

Yes,these will fall off during washing eventually so you definitely want to secure stitch them on. Since they are raw edge any stitch you chose will work. I've seen straight stitch close to the edge that looks wonderful and blanket stitch...so...up to you. If large applique, I'd probably straight stitch but shorten stitch so you can povot around curves and points easily. In my opinion, The bobbin thread should match the color of your backing and the top thread should match applique fabric. Use a walking foot to help move the fabric under the needle since it's already quilted.

Clmay 04-06-2018 04:36 AM

I would have used Steam-a-seam II for my appliques. It stays on really nice for me. The best part is no sewing.

crafty pat 04-07-2018 11:00 AM

I would hand stitch the blanket stitch just going through the top layer so it will not show on the back. It takes more time than machine stitching but looks better from the back. This is how I have always done mine that was already quilted.

nativetexan 04-07-2018 11:10 AM

well it doesn't look flat. perhaps hand stitching would work better. even big stitch.

clevermom3kids 04-07-2018 07:29 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I hadn't thought of just going through the top layer. I'll try that and see if I'm successful! I think I'll try the blanket stitch with some size 8 pearl cotton.

flybreit 04-11-2018 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by clevermom3kids (Post 8036207)
Thank you for all the suggestions. I hadn't thought of just going through the top layer. I'll try that and see if I'm successful! I think I'll try the blanket stitch with some size 8 pearl cotton.

I'm glad you posted this - I'm working on a quilt now and have the same situation. Fused with Steam a Seam 2 but it's a baby quilt so plan to hand stitch also....