Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Palm rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/palm-rotary-cutter-t296004.html)

Geri B 04-06-2018 06:15 AM

Palm rotary cutter?

I just watched a YouTube video from junction fabric.com demo a quilt pattern called two by two-which is a cute easy pattern-anyway, she used two accessories which looked a bit clunky to me. One, this rotary cutter that was in the palm of her hand and a handle on the ruler, which looked so big and clunky it seemed to block out the measurements on the ruler...and when she was cutting it seemed to be a bit clumsy. But perhaps for those with hand pain, these might be solutions or at least an easier way. Anyone here have either of these accesories? If so, do you like?

PaperPrincess 04-06-2018 08:27 AM

The rotary cutter is attached to the ruler. Here's the fiskar's version, but other manufacturer's make them:
http://www.quiltersreview.com/fiskar...r-ruler-combo/

It's a love 'em or hate 'em with this tool. My cousin swears by hers. I sold mine.

pflum1 04-07-2018 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 8035202)
I just watched a YouTube video from junction fabric.com demo a quilt pattern called two by two-which is a cute easy pattern-anyway, she used two accessories which looked a bit clunky to me. One, this rotary cutter that was in the palm of her hand and a handle on the ruler, which looked so big and clunky it seemed to block out the measurements on the ruler...and when she was cutting it seemed to be a bit clumsy. But perhaps for those with hand pain, these might be solutions or at least an easier way. Anyone here have either of these accesories? If so, do you like?

If I am cutting stripes, this cutter is wonderful. I do put some weights on the far end so it doesn't move I can use this setting down, so my back don't get to hurting. Between my accuquilt big Go and the stripe cutting I can get a quilt cut in less than an hour.

Geri B 04-07-2018 05:33 AM

No, the rotary cutter is not attached to the ruler..I have and like that setup. This was a cutter attached to her hand by a Velcro type band and she was sort of holding it like you would a balk? The handle for the ruler , I'm guessing, is suction cupped on, but it looked big and in the way.....actually both items are on the website in their shop.....

MarleneC 04-07-2018 06:52 AM

I've watched her use that rotary cutter and I don't like that the blade is uncovered and getting your hand in the thing. Not something I ever wanted. It might be OK for someone who has problems holding a regular rotary cutter. I know a lot of people were interested in it.

Frances41 04-07-2018 07:14 AM

Oh I love mine. I use it every time I am cutting. Glad I have it.

Aurora 04-07-2018 08:24 AM

I bought one years ago and it sits in a corner of my sewing room. I tried it once and it didn't cut, so I changed the blade, still no luck.

roguequilter 04-07-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 8035765)
No, the rotary cutter is not attached to the ruler..I have and like that setup. This was a cutter attached to her hand by a Velcro type band and she was sort of holding it like you would a balk? The handle for the ruler , I'm guessing, is suction cupped on, but it looked big and in the way.....actually both items are on the website in their shop.....

several of the quilters in my tuesday group used the handle, tho over the years several have ceased using it. it's large, clunky ..and after i tried it a few times, i decided it was a waste of money ..something i have very little of.
i've seen the palm cutter in catalogs and w the way the hand is flexed with downward pressure to cut ..it would create major havoc (read >>pain!) in my arthritic hands & wrists. so that's a no to me also

nativetexan 04-08-2018 03:40 PM

if someone gave me one, i'd use it to cut strips if I needed a lot of them.