Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Muslin as backing on table runners - Tacky or OK? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/muslin-backing-table-runners-tacky-ok-t296412.html)

Geoduck 04-22-2018 07:23 PM

Muslin as backing on table runners - Tacky or OK?

I just can't bring myself to use 'good' fabric as a backing for something that would be seen only when laying it down. Is using muslin tacky, a cop-out? Should I bite the bullet and use 'good' fabric? I don't mind pieced backings on quilts, they can be interesting and even fun. But, in my mind, I'd rather see a solid backing on a small quilt than pieces of whatever.

Specifically, I'm making red-white-blue table runners for my daughters-in-law and will make Xmas ones next.

Prism99 04-22-2018 07:29 PM

In my opinion, muslin backings are perfectly fine!!! I have seen quilters who use muslin backing on their quilts and the quilts looked great!

This is one time, though, when I would pre-wash the backing fabric since muslin can shrink. Also, I would use a good quality muslin. (I like Kaufmann Kona, but there are other good ones out there.)

Irishrose2 04-22-2018 09:17 PM

I use anything that will hold the batting in. Several of my Spicy Spirals have a thin light blue - probably a poly/cotton blend that I purchased at WalMart for $.99 a yard. Not for that use, but I had it, so I used it. The one I put together today will have any light colored plain fabric 40x60 that I can find around here. $12 a yard on the front and $.99 on the back is fine with me.

ckcowl 04-23-2018 01:11 AM

Muslin comes in many ( grades) there is really good muslins that are perfect for backing. Muslin washes beautifully, gets softer and softer with use has been used for quilt backing for generations- no reason to think of it as a ( cop out)
it shows the quilting beautifully is a great choice

pocoellie 04-23-2018 03:27 AM

I use muslin or sheets for all my quilt backings, don't know why not on table runners. I also don't prewash my fabrics and have never had a problem.

toverly 04-23-2018 03:45 AM

Muslin is fine to use. I think of it this way. If I use "good fabric" on the back, I have two table runners. If something happens to one side, I can easily flip and use the other. I vote for good fabric backs.

bakermom 04-23-2018 04:00 AM

many use muslin as quilt backing. Why would runner be different? I buy wide muslin by the bolt to keep on hand for backing.

Geri B 04-23-2018 04:41 AM

Well, if that's the case, I am queen of tacky! I use muslin on backs of everything! There was a time that was the routine, until fabric prices began to skyrocket, and stores/mfg needed to push more "fabric"...a good quality muslin as mentioned washes beautifully and becomes soft as marshmallows...

Wanabee Quiltin 04-23-2018 04:48 AM

I love muslin and used it on many quilts. I was in a quilting bee in Texas and the ladies went to a thrift store and bought flannel baby blankets for the backs of their runners.

maryb119 04-23-2018 04:52 AM

I think what you use for the back is personal preference. I prefer to use 'good' fabric with color on the back for mine. I have seen beautiful quilts done either way.