Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Extra? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/extra-t297028.html)

bearisgray 05-19-2018 05:41 AM

Extra?

Do you expect - or hope - to get "extra" when you buy fabric?

Example - I ask for 1/2 yard - I hope to get at least 18-1/2 inches.

As long as I get at least what I ask for, I won't complain. I do mind when I am shorted. Which has happened with packaged fat quarters.

Rhonda K 05-19-2018 05:53 AM

I don't want to be short cut or have wonky cuts because the folds aren't straight.

There is always a couple extra inches at my local shop. The owner and staff are generous cutters. Plus the owner frequently has a 30% off or finish the bolt (40%) off. Yes, I finish plenty of blots as I can't see leaving that small portion behind. I figure that extra is a little bit of insurance for my mis-cuts.

There are usually sales too when we attend classes or meetings. It's always a fun place!

Onebyone 05-19-2018 06:03 AM

I don't mind extra :) but I know most measure to the exact inch when cutting. In the retail fabric shop magazine they tell the owners that giving just a 1/2 extra for each cut will cut in the shop's profits more then they realize. I think it was in the thousands of dollars over a year's time. I expect the fabric to be cut evenly and if I am shorted I ask for a recut before I pay for it.

mandyrose 05-19-2018 06:30 AM

back in the day they use to give you the extra if it was end of the bolt ,don't remember probably up to about 6 inches so if you wanted 2 yards and and there was 6inches left on the bolt they would give it to you , not today anymore joanns will ask if you want it at half price,sometimes i'll take it depending on my mood LOL!

Jordan 05-19-2018 08:20 AM

I never mind 1/2" more on my fabric cuts. You never know when that 1/2" will help you get the strip cut that you need.

meyert 05-19-2018 08:42 AM

well I sure don't expect it.. and I don't think I have gotten extra but a couple of times from Fabric.com. They put a sticker on it "end of bolt special" it was a nice surprise. Now that amazon bought them I bet they don't do that any more :( P.S. I love Amazon... but I used to find Fabric.com a very special place to shop and that's gone now

nativetexan 05-19-2018 10:12 AM

It has been sooooo long since anyone cut me extra fabric. long ago days.

toverly 05-19-2018 10:16 AM

No, I don't expect extra. I am always purchasing too much, just in case. If I purchase exact, that's a sure sign that I will miscut.

tranum 05-19-2018 11:13 AM

I’ve bought exactly what I need (example: 12 inches) and gotten 11.5 or even less when I come to cut it at home. Grrrr. So I watch carefully now. I have one clerk that gives me 4-5 extra inches all the time. She’ll probably get trouble for it some day but if I was her, I’d do the same. Why not treat a good customer good ?

quiltingcandy 05-19-2018 11:37 AM

I don't expect extra either. But I do want what I order. And knowing how fabric will shrink if I need 1/4 yard I now buy 1/3 because too often I was getting shorted. 1/4 yard is 9 inches, but all too often I couldn't get 8 inches after it was washed. Recently I asked a lady for 1/3 yard of 14 different fabrics, she told me they only cut 1/4 as the smallest, luckily as I was getting ready to explain 1/3 was larger than 1/4 another lady said she would cut them for me.