Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting crush (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-crush-t298063.html)

PamelaOry 07-05-2018 09:41 AM

Quilting crush

I just realized I have a “quilting crush” on a fellow quilter. I’m completely enamoured with her quilting and how she carries herself in the quilting community. I guess I would say I want to grow up and be just like her only....she’s not that much older than me!

Cheshirepat 07-05-2018 10:05 AM

Ha! :) Well, it's great to have inspiration and something to aim for, and there's lots of that here, for sure. Not sure if you were indicating that person is here, but I've seen many people post whose work just stuns me, and certainly a lot of gracious and kind folks too. I don't have a local guild I sew with, or any club or affiliation so most of my advice and motivation is from this board, and I'm grateful for finding it years ago.

quiltingcandy 07-05-2018 10:13 AM

I can totally relate! When I go to the quilt shows and see what people do on their DSM's I just want to sit and watch them. I am trying though - just haven't met a quilter yet that is willing to let me watch. I do watch on YouTube but it's just not the same.

KalamaQuilts 07-05-2018 10:15 AM

I've always wanted to be Linda Franz when I grow up
a guiding example to me of civil internet behavior.
And she makes beautiful quilts

ube quilting 07-05-2018 12:51 PM

It is really nice to find those sparks of inspiration. Hang on to them, they can be priceless in helping grow your own style.

I have found different artists inspire me in different ways. One may be color combining, another original design, then someone who does fabulous quilting. To coin a phrase, " it takes a village to inspire this quilter." :D
peace

SusieQOH 07-05-2018 02:32 PM

I can totally relate! I think it's nice to have a "hero" of sorts, not only in quilting, but in other areas as well. Right now I'm crazy about Jenny Doan and Donna Jordan. I could watch their videos all day long. But there are others.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-07-2018 04:07 AM

It’s kind of funny but I also had a quilting famous person I looked up to because of her wonderful books. I had met her twice in Paducah and she was really nice. Then a few years ago I went into her booth and while giving a short presentation to myself and two others, she would stop every few minutes and ask us to applaud. At first we didn’t know what she wanted, it was such a surprise. After that, she fell off her pedestal. No more heroes for me.

Nathan's Mimi 07-07-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 8089469)
It’s kind of funny but I also had a quilting famous person I looked up to because of her wonderful books. I had met her twice in Paducah and she was really nice. Then a few years ago I went into her booth and while giving a short presentation to myself and two others, she would stop every few minutes and ask us to applaud. At first we didn’t know what she wanted, it was such a surprise. After that, she fell off her pedestal. No more heroes for me.

This must have been awkward! :/

carolynjo 07-07-2018 09:01 AM

My favorite teacher remains Pat Campbell from whom I learned applique about 30 years ago. I have seen pictures in books of applique but the stitches show. My appliques float on the surface and no stitches show. I am very proud of my applique work.

JanieH 07-07-2018 12:45 PM

I have several "quilting heroes" here on the QB - they are always ready to step in and help someone with a problem and they post beautiful work. And they are very supportive and encouraging for everyone!