Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   jelly roll log cabin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/jelly-roll-log-cabin-t298247.html)

meyert 07-14-2018 07:03 AM

jelly roll log cabin

I am seriously considering trying the jelly roll log cabin. I have seen videos and patterns on line, but I am a little nervous.

Has anyone here made the jelly roll log cabin?

The only log cabin quilt that I have made with using a template where you trimmed the block after every "round" - which was nice it kept it very square (wasted a little fabric but I can live with that)

without the trimming every round I am wondering if my blocks will get all wonky :)

any thoughts?

meyert 07-14-2018 07:07 AM

I put this in the wrong spot... just ignore me :)

mucky 07-14-2018 04:55 PM

I just finished on using the jelly rolls. Yes the blocks did get wonky so I would suggest squaring as you go. Mine was all scraps so won’t show unless one is looking for perfection.

meyert 07-14-2018 05:20 PM

thanks for your reply.... I think I will use the square up tool

Battle Axe 07-15-2018 03:04 AM

I had a lovely jelly roll and began sewing the WOF strips together. Of course I did not measure the strip width, after all I bought 2.5 inch strips..... Can you feel it coming? Of all the strips I don't think two were the same width. And for once it was not my sewing. So I ended up cutting them into rail fence blocks, and there they sit on the UFO shelf. The only thing they are is colorful, they are way off. I'm going to have to have a better day to figure out what to do.
Marcia

meyert 07-15-2018 05:16 AM

oh my! how disappointing! you will find a good use for them... sooner or later :)

Chris G 07-15-2018 06:12 AM

I have never found jelly rolls or be a time saver. Making them all a unified width is actually more time consuming than cutting my own

pineneedles4 07-15-2018 06:19 AM

Set your machine up and use a ruler to mark a scant 1/4" and tape a gift card down so you have a guideline for sewing the perfect seams. I believe it's all in the seaming. I tend to veer off at the end of my piece so the taped hard has trained me to make sure it's against the card all the way through the seam. Nothing else has worked, drawing a line, no, I need the edge that is tight against the machine to help guide my fabric. I do this with all of my machines so regardless of the width of the dog feeds I get a perfect seam each time. I actually place the ruler under my needle and carefully hand lower the needle to touch the ruler just to the left of the 1/4" mark and then tape the plastic card/gift card down using the wide blue painter's tape.

liking quilting 07-15-2018 04:49 PM

I made a patriotic themed jelly roll from MSQ Co. and found it went together easy. Don't remember my squaring up of blocks anymore, but ai must have. I found it went together very quickly as traditional L.C. quilts use much narrower strips.

PamelaOry 07-15-2018 05:45 PM

Width of jelly rolls is inconsistent or length? I was thinking of using jelly rolls for my next project.