Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help please! tabletop miniature quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-please-tabletop-miniature-quilt-t298375.html)

mbake 07-20-2018 06:31 AM

Help please! tabletop miniature quilt

I am looking to make a tabletop miniature quilt for my DIL’s parents who are in the long process to become US citizens. They have spent Christmas with us for the past four years. They are Chinese, so I am trying to find a pattern with a Chinese and American Flag. Google nor Etsy has been any help. Am I going to have to come up with a pattern myself or can anyone help me with this? Thank you so much!

Liz92B 07-20-2018 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Might be difficult to find such a flag, since they both use the upper left corner. Maybe make both flags joined into one square - you'd need to warp one or both, since they are different dimensions.

The USA flat is 12 units wide x 10 units tall, the China flag is 15 x 10. If you stretch the US flag to match the China flag, they'd look like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598131[/ATTACH]

DJ 07-20-2018 07:25 AM

How about alternating squares with 5-pointed stars … one square red with yellow star, the other square blue with white star.

Or you could make a tree of life quilt with the star blocks along the border.

Happy brainstorming and happy quilting! Whatever you do, this will make a touching gift.

You're giving me ideas for my new DGS due in December who will be German-American.

Kitsie 07-20-2018 07:25 AM

You could find pictures of an American flag and one of a Chinese flag and start from there. Maybe by putting the left half of the American flag, tuning the quilt 180° and putting the left side of the Chinese flag to join it. This way you would get the "star" part of each one.

Kitsie 07-20-2018 07:28 AM

LOL, Liz, we must have been typing at the same time! Lets just call it "great minds".

osewme 07-20-2018 07:36 AM

When my son-in-law from Germany became a U.S. citizen I made him a quilt with the Texas flag on the front & backed it with a fabric that had the U.S. flag all over the back. He LOVES Texas & wanted a Texas front. DD & I designed the front....no picture. :( Lost all my pictures when computer crashed last year.

Tartan 07-20-2018 08:01 AM

​Can you piece an American flag and applique the pledge in Chinese characters in the red and white stripes?

QuiltE 07-20-2018 08:03 AM

You might want to look at some of the great quilts with Canada-USA flag combos for inspiration.

Jingle 07-20-2018 06:43 PM

If it were me doing it, I would make it two sided, chinese one and usa flag other side.

citruscountyquilter 07-21-2018 04:22 AM

I wouldn't limit my thinking just to flags. Both countries have symbols too such as a dragon (China) and eagle (US). Isn't what you're really trying to convey is the blending of the two cultures? Your design possibilities could be boundless if you expand beyond flags. Have you considered Asian fabric for part of your design?
My daughter-in-law in Chineese and she and her father did some wonderful painting on fabric for an exhibit of Chineese language symbols and their translated meanings. While it wasn't quilting but rather silk scarves the concept is similar.