Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why Does Using a "Spider" Work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-does-using-spider-work-t299771.html)

Watson 09-24-2018 10:38 AM

Why Does Using a "Spider" Work?

Why does using a "spider" or a "leader" work? I understand why it helps to start the fabric as you are starting in the middle of the leader, but you don't butt the pieces exactly, there is a little space so again the machine is starting in an empty space, so why does this work for chain piecing?

When I don't use it, my first piece gets chewed up of course, but I don't get why the second piece doesn't.

Watson

Tartan 09-24-2018 10:47 AM

I sometimes use a spider at the start of sewing especially if there are triangle points. I chain with only a stitch between pieces.

Onebyone 09-24-2018 11:23 AM

When using a starting scrap, there are no loose threads to start the next piece, it's like chain piecing.

toverly 09-24-2018 11:33 AM

I use it just in case my machine decides to chew a corner, it chews something that I haven't measured. I think the gap between pieces doesn't get chewed because the thread is already tight to the piece just sewn. It can't push/pull the fabric down and chomp on it.

hobbykat1955 09-24-2018 12:38 PM

Also the one hole plate makes a big difference on your machine...whereas if you have the zig zag plate in it has more room for material to be push down..took me a while to realize that...

Jingle 09-24-2018 12:43 PM

Hold the beginning threads and using a one hole plate causes that not to happen.

KwiltyKahy 09-24-2018 01:06 PM

I don't know the answer to your question even though I am a committed chain piecer, but I had never heard the term spider used that way. Leaders and enders is what I'm familiar with. (Of course, it's only been a few years that I knew the term flimsy.) I had to read your post to see what that term yet.

Iceblossom 09-24-2018 01:21 PM

This is the first time I've heard them referred to as spiders, but I love it! Little glob of fabric holding on by a thread :)

When I first started sewing with garment construction, the seam allowance was so wide getting sucked down into the hole wasn't an issue, I was taught to hold on to the threads when I started, besides that meant they were to the back which is where they should be.

Now I use "leaders" all the time, pretty much every time, even when I am sewing wide seams or large pieces. I always have little scraps left from cutting anyway.

I recently saw a hint somewhere about precision piecing, it really helps if you have the correct markings on your sewing machine or draw the lines, but when you are doing a lot of triangles reverse every other piece. Hard for me to describe, but instead of your chain looking like >>> you go ><>< so the seam and pieces nest in a straight line.

Rhonda K 09-24-2018 01:27 PM

Watch the feed dogs. Even though there is space between the two pieces, it is moving the fabric along.

I just used a leader this morning for some strip piecing. Sometimes, I just start with the needle down in the fabric. It starts sewing fine.

One inch scrap pieces are next to machine. Easy to grab one and start stitching.

zozee 09-24-2018 02:24 PM

I first heard Marianne or Mary Fons use the term "spider." The scrap is the body of the spider, and all the loose threads are the legs.