Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Volunteering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/volunteering-t299881.html)

QuiltnNan 09-29-2018 09:32 AM

Volunteering

1 Attachment(s)
How many of you volunteer in your local areas?

Yesterday was our local volunteers recognition breakfast. I got the Gold level President's Service Award and my 5 year pin. There were 4 there that had volunteered 600+ hours in the last year. As you know, I make the quilts for the cancer center, but I also volunteer at other events and drive local residents to medical appointments out of the county. I meet lots of wonderful people by volunteering.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601848[/ATTACH]

bearisgray 09-29-2018 09:58 AM

Congratulations!

annievee 09-29-2018 10:33 AM

Congratulations !

NZquilter 09-29-2018 10:34 AM

Wow congratulations! Volunteering is very honourable and generous.

Iceblossom 09-29-2018 11:03 AM

Thanks and grats to you, QuiltnNan, I'm a big believer in volunteering myself. The last couple of years have been hard on me financially, physically/medically, and emotionally and I haven't been doing as much as I usually do, plus I can no longer drive in the dark. It's been limited to looking at/responding to the Craig's List wanted ads and a few donation quilts mostly. But it was as much as I could do.

However, in the good news side of thing I'm well enough that I can start donating blood again. It's a wonderful thing to be healthy enough to do that, not everyone can. But if all of us who could just donated once a year, we'd have very little problems with blood shortages.

I am considering various organizations/options for a regular monthly or weekly service gig. Haven't come across the exact right thing for me to do, but I am looking/thinking -- that's the first step.

Tartan 09-29-2018 12:50 PM

​Congratulations! I do charity quilts with a group and they go to several places.

Watson 09-29-2018 12:50 PM

Wow, that's quite an honour! Congratulations!

Just last week I went to my first meeting of the Kinettes, the women's arm of the Kinsmen which is a group that volunteers and fund raises in the community and I was really impressed with all they do. I'll go to a few meetings and perhaps join.

Watson

sewbizgirl 09-29-2018 01:16 PM

Congratulations on your award. So nice of you to give of your time.

I do my volunteering at home... sewing quilts for those who need some love and support. I feel it's a calling and I'm so glad I can do it right here at home.

Bobbielinks 09-29-2018 04:37 PM

A huge thank you for all the volunteers. You are certainly the backbone of many organizations. I am unable to now; but look forward to be able to volunteer in the coming years.

SillySusan 09-29-2018 05:06 PM

Congrats! It's great to be a volunteer.

Until recently, I volunteered at our community thrift center... For years I was the "craft lady" and was responsible for the sewing, quilting, knitting, jewelry making, x-stitch, etc., crafts department. What a blast!! The only problem was I bought soooo much of the fabric, I have to stay home now and make 100's of baby quilts for donations! :)