Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me pick the border and advice about quilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-pick-border-advice-about-quilting-t300303.html)

IrishMom 10-18-2018 08:41 AM

Please help me pick the border and advice about quilting!

2 Attachment(s)
So I have finished the main part of my queen size quilt top from the 9 patch fabric swap. This is my largest project to date and will be the centerpiece of our guest bedroom. So I am asking for help with two areas:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602725[/ATTACH]

1) How should I border this? I was thinking three outside borders. An inner fabric, the middle would be 2.5 inch squares (already cut and ready to go!), and an outer border. But what color do I want the inner and outer borders? I have the grey and white in the quilt or a multi grey pattern which will be the backing of the quilt. I worry that the solid grey will make too much of a frame or the white could "bleed out" the star pattern too much.... Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated! But do I want to introduce a new fabric, the multi grey to the top?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602726[/ATTACH]

2) How do I quilt this? I'm pretty good at the all over stipple and I can do straight lines. Do I do the same design through out the quilt or do the triangles get one design and the 9 patches another?

Thank You!

Irishrose2 10-18-2018 10:05 AM

I like the gray pattern a lot. For quilting, I'd follow the v in the gray/white block and do an allover meander in the 9 patches.

Tartan 10-18-2018 10:30 AM

I might do a grey pattern first border, then multi coloured squares and then another great pattern border. I would do continuous curve or orange peel design in the 9 patches, SITD the white stars and do a stipple in the grey triangles to make the stars pop.

Rhonda K 10-18-2018 11:24 AM

Sorry, I'm not feeling the gray fabric. It is a different direction from all the other fabrics. They gray in the quilt blocks are a stand out already and look great. Don't add competition to them. I'm still a newbie so just offering another opinion to the mix. Of course you can do anything that strikes your fancy and it will be right.

Do you have any of the colorful fabrics used in the quilt? Try those next to the quilt. Have fun and play.

nativetexan 10-18-2018 11:42 AM

You have a dark green in a block and a dark burgundy. either one would work well for a skinny inner border. then lay your other fabrics next to it and decide then. lovely quilt!!

zozee 10-18-2018 12:46 PM

My first reaction was it needs a border in the pink family. Second thought was one of the greens. I wouldn't use any more grey or white because they'd compete, as you say. I like this quilt a lot. Secondary patterns are so much fun to look at.

Jingle 10-18-2018 03:56 PM

I like the fabric on the right, it is perfect for it.

Iceblossom 10-18-2018 04:20 PM

Another vote for the batik-y fabric on the right! Then I'd probably bind it with a bright hot color because I do things like that, but the solid grey or the white background would also work.

jmoore 10-19-2018 02:15 AM

If you have your heart set on gray...I’d chose the multi one on the right in your photo. Otherwise, I agree that choosing a color from within the quilt would make your gray blocks pop. Good luck and don’t forget to show us your finished quilt.

SSStitches 10-19-2018 02:41 AM

Love what you have done. Very pretty. I like the solid grey, looks like it belongs. I am partial to grey and yellow together. So my thought, a narrow yellow next to the grey.