Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Refolding fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/refolding-fabric-t300718.html)

bearisgray 11-05-2018 09:36 AM

Refolding fabric?

I have some (lots) of fabric that has been neatly folded and stacked for years.

Do you leave your folded fabrics "as is" - or do you refold them every few years?

annievee 11-05-2018 09:51 AM

Bad habit--bring fabric home and put in sewing room. Forgot the shop folded several fabrics together--a nice surprise to find fabrics inside the fold !

mawluv 11-05-2018 10:24 AM

I try to refold every year or so, but I don't always get it all done. I'm easily distracted and get excited all over again when I find fabric that I had forgotten about.

sharonve 11-05-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by annievee (Post 8155920)
Bad habit--bring fabric home and put in sewing room. Forgot the shop folded several fabrics together--a nice surprise to find fabrics inside the fold !

My sister just gave me fabric that she had for years. It had faded marks where it had been folded and made it hard to cut around those lines. I refold mine and keep it out of sunlight.

cashs_mom 11-05-2018 11:23 AM

I don't fold yardage, I hang it over hangers in the closet. Less than a yard is folded and stored in boxes on shelves. I don't go thru it and refold it but most of the boxes and rummaged a few times a year and things do get refolded.

Notwendy 11-05-2018 01:05 PM

I didn't have a schedule but it has worked out that I've refolded my fabric several times in the past few years. I think it is a good idea as it lets you see what you have and also mitigates fold/fade lines if your sewing room isn't as dark as you think.

I ruler folded twice (different sizes when I changed shelving) and now most is on comic boards (1-6 yds), with less than a yard folded like a fat quarter, & 6+ on a bolt. I need to stop buying fat quarters (I'm at 438 fqs and haven't even finished - yikes!). : )

Jingle 11-05-2018 01:45 PM

I wash and dry fabrics as soon as I get them home, then fold them with my ruler. I do not refold them until I need to use them. They are kept in a closet on wire shelving with the doors closed. No fading nor hard fold lines except the original center line. That fold line presses out.

Rhonda K 11-05-2018 02:54 PM

My stash has been re-folded three times so far. First was a ruler fold. Then wrapped on plastic boards (like comic boards) to store in plastic bins. As needs changed, I went back to ruler folding on the 6 1/2 inch ruler. Each piece is labeled with yardage amount and date. I change the amount as it is used. The stacks are stored in the closet on wire shelving. I do move the fabrics around sometimes when I need to pet them.

The jelly rolls and layer cakes are in plastic bins under work tables. I would love to put them in the closet

pocoellie 11-05-2018 03:28 PM

I don't refold my fabrics, I will refold it again if I have it out to use. My fabrics are all in drawers so there's no sunlight getting in to fade.

Darcyshannon 11-06-2018 12:41 AM

I don’t refold on purpose. I do go through stash to find things and I recently moved and doing a big reorg.