Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Prewash flannel for rag quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prewash-flannel-rag-quilt-t301070.html)

Jcarpentier 11-21-2018 07:33 AM

Prewash flannel for rag quilt?

Good morning all,

I am new to using flannel and I want to know if I should wash it before assembling a rag quilt? I have heard flannel shrinks quite a lot. Looking for advice from people with more experience than me.

Thanks! JC

QuiltnNan 11-21-2018 07:46 AM

I always do. and different flannels shrink at different rates. also, the same flannel, if laid out wof or length, may shrink at different rates.

ckcowl 11-21-2018 08:10 AM

When doing rag quilts I have never prewashed the flannel. I put my sandwich squares together, stitch an X across them to hold everything together, or quilt them , assemble, clip then I take it outside & give it a really good shake ( the birds collect the threads/ fluff. If it’s a big quilt I take it to the laundromat & use their largest machine, if it’s not so big I launder it at home. After the first spin cycle I stop the machine, take it out & go outside to shake the dickens out of it again- I clean out any stuff left in the washer put it back in and finish the cycle. I do it all again ( outside to shake etc) before it goes into the dryer, after about 20 minutes I take it out, empty the full lint trap, take it out for a good shake then finish drying. I’ve never had any come out bad due to uneven shrinking or anything else. The batting and stitching helps. My family loves raggy quilts.

dunster 11-21-2018 08:15 AM

I always pre-wash flannel because it shrinks unevenly and seems to bleed more often than other cotton fabrics. When constructing the quilt, I use three layers of flannel with no batting, sometimes mixing in some corduroy, so I don't have to quilt an X through the squares and all 3 layers of flannel produce more fraying. Be sure to make your seams 1/2" or larger instead of the traditional 1/4" when making a rag quilt.

sewingsuz 11-21-2018 09:04 AM

I wash the flannel first also..

bearisgray 11-21-2018 09:20 AM

i wash everything washable before i cut it to size.

cathyvv 11-21-2018 10:32 AM

In one word, yes. Pre wash, dry in dryer at high setting, then do it again. It removes a ton of lint and the flannel will be as shrunk as it will ever be.

Have fun with the quilt!

Daylesewblessed 11-21-2018 04:14 PM

Flannel is notorious for both shrinking and bleeding. I get that over with at the beginning of a project.

illinois 11-23-2018 03:36 AM

I have just finished 2 rag quilts and did them just like ckcowl does hers. My thought on flannel is --it depends. In my experience the lighter-weight flannels do not shrink as much as the thicker quilter flannels and they tend to not bleed either. So far, so good with the rag quilts I have made. They are a lot of fun!

lberna 11-23-2018 12:38 PM

Flannel shrinks a lot, a lot. And the fabrics do not shrink the same rate. My LQS advised me to wash the fabrics in warm water and let them completely dry in a dryer. Be very careful with mixing colors in the washer. Reds tend to bleed. Since my quilt is queen size and quite bulky, I have to use a large commercial washing machine to launder it and the results are perfect. There's no bleeding or shrinkage.