Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   figuring out/deciding what works best -- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/figuring-out-deciding-what-works-best-t302253.html)

bearisgray 01-13-2019 08:38 PM

figuring out/deciding what works best --

i think most "newbies" want to know/learn the "best" method/technique for whatever -

i also think that there are some things each person has to finally decide for her/himself as to being "the preferred" way.

some of those are:

to wash or not wash the washable components before cutting them
what kind of thread to use
to use starch/ sizing or not
binding - how wide, which way to cut it, how to sew it on
the best way to make half square triangle units
what kind of sewing machine
to buy fabric "by the project" or acquire a stash

and the list goes on.

the main reason i now do some of things the way i do is because of a lot of trial and error.

are there things you were told to do when you were just learning that you no longer do?

if so, what had you been taught that you no longer do - and why have you decided that there is a better way for you?

Darcyshannon 01-14-2019 12:31 AM

It really depends on your needs. I will say that starching fabric does seem to help, especially if intricate piecing. However, it does help it lay flat which makes the whole block nicer, even on a simple nine patch.

Mkotch 01-14-2019 04:18 AM

I hate taking extra steps, so I don't make oversized half-square triangles that I need to cut to size. I cut squares in half diagonally and sew them together, the old fashioned way, or I use my easy angle ruler to cut two strips laying face to face.

Anniedeb 01-14-2019 11:21 AM

The trial and error rule applies to me. I do what works for me. Since there are no hard fast rules of how to get the end result, I just plow through the process. Keep working it until I find something I'm happy with. I have settled into my own "rules" I pre-wash. I starch. I have a stash because when I'm in a fabric store I cannot ignore all the pretty fabric that calls my name. I also never usually have exactly what I need, so I buy more. For me, less is more. If I muddle the water too much, I get confused or frustrated, so I go back to my basics.

SillySusan 01-14-2019 11:36 AM

Something I did just last week after quilting for many, many years. I saw the post here about all those of y'all that sliced pieces of fingers off with the rotary cutters. I bought a package of 4 of those cut resistant gloves that restaurant workers use.. so for $8.95 I a wearing one on the hand that doesn't hold the blade and I reduced my chances of getting hurt.

What I used to do that don't do anymore? I used to buy pretty fabric even when I had no plans about what to do with it! Now, I am using what I have and not buying anymore!!

Rhonda Lee 01-14-2019 07:11 PM

I don't worry so much anymore of the "correctness" of everything. I've had years of 'tried that done that' and found my own rhythm to my quilting. I also know that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

cathyvv 01-14-2019 07:39 PM

When we first start quilting, we take every aspect of it so darned seriously. I was told to relax and enjoy the process. Excellent advice.

Cutting accurately was the most difficult thing for me to learn to do. Lots of trial and error, some seriously wonky quilts later, I have become proficient, but not superb, at cutting. My quilts are more square, which is nice. I also purchased and accuquilt Studio which has improved my cutting considerably. It was worth every penny!

People talk about squaring blocks - that is a skill I haven't been able to master. So I very rarely try to these days.

Was advised against stash, but ignored that advice. I probably shouldn't have, but I have admired fabrics since I was a kid. Now I have an excuse to buy it!

zozee 01-14-2019 07:53 PM

I was taught pin basting. Yuck. Once I discovered 505 spray, bye-bye pin basting!

I was told (by my intro to quilting teacher) that I had made a "wrong block," meaning one that wasn't in the sampler quilt were we "supposed" to be making. When I replied, "but you said it's our quilt, our choice of blocks," I took that to mean I could make any block, so I did." She seemed miffed that I took her literally.

carolynjo 01-15-2019 06:17 AM

I'm pleased that you stuck to your guns and did what YOU wanted. I think a teacher should endeavor to give her student wings to do her/his thing, not control them, but gently guide and suggest to they can "own" their processes.

eimay 01-15-2019 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8193135)
I was taught pin basting. Yuck. Once I discovered 505 spray, bye-bye pin basting!

I was told (by my intro to quilting teacher) that I had made a "wrong block," meaning one that wasn't in the sampler quilt were we "supposed" to be making. When I replied, "but you said it's our quilt, our choice of blocks," I took that to mean I could make any block, so I did." She seemed miffed that I took her literally.

I work in a quilt shop and whenever a quilter asks my opinion, I answer honestly, but also remind them that it is their quilt and to do what they want. Sometimes they go with my suggestions, other times not. They may have a preference for a personal reason (favorite color, design, etc.) and I respect that.