Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how would you start to arrange this scrappy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-you-start-arrange-scrappy-quilt-t302469.html)

sarge1 01-22-2019 02:46 PM

how would you start to arrange this scrappy quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
I have 483 half square triangle blocks, 4" finished. Blue and cream, scrappy. There Are duplicate fabrics used. They are all sewed, starched, pressed and squared up. How would you go bout starting to sew them together? Arrange them on a design wall (there are A Lot); arrange them row by row to avoid putting 2 of the same next to each other; throw them all in a bag and just draw one at a time out and start sewing? Other? Picture to show what look I am going for. Thanks!

feline fanatic 01-22-2019 03:23 PM

Is this your planned layout? If so I think I would sew the HST into larger blocks. If I were to do this I would assemble 9 HST into a 12" block. Then once you have your blocks sewn you can rearrange them to your liking, easier to work with them on your design wall. You have a nice mix here and if two that are the same end up next to each other it won't be noticable except to you.

sarge1 01-22-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8198027)
Is this your planned layout? If so I think I would sew the HST into larger blocks. If I were to do this I would assemble 9 HST into a 12" block. Then once you have your blocks sewn you can rearrange them to your liking, easier to work with them on your design wall. You have a nice mix here and if two that are the same end up next to each other it won't be noticable except to you.

Great idea! Thanks!

Boston1954 01-22-2019 05:55 PM

Design wall idea sounds good. The way they are arranged in the picture looks very good.

SusieQOH 01-22-2019 05:57 PM

Gorgeous blocks. I would probably throw them in a bag and pick but I like Feline's idea too.

zozee 01-22-2019 07:41 PM

Oh, so many options for that many HSTs! I like the pattern you have pictured. If I were to settle on that one, I'd probably keep going, pulling from a bag randomly, and then rearrange at the end wherever I saw a cluster of the same fabric.

JustAbitCrazy 01-23-2019 03:52 AM

Any block with a strong diagonal can be arranged in the gazillion ways Log Cabin blocks can be arranged. Look at the many ways Log Cabin blocks are arranged, there's sure to be something there that blows your skirt up.

MarionsQuilts 01-23-2019 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 8198240)
Any block with a strong diagonal can be arranged in the gazillion ways Log Cabin blocks can be arranged. Look at the many ways Log Cabin blocks are arranged, there's sure to be something there that blows your skirt up.

This ! There are tons of HST variations ... just google and scroll until something pops!

lynnsv 01-23-2019 06:34 AM

agree with 'feline'; making blocks would be easier. I find with scrappy quilts, the less I think about placement, the better my quilt turns out. Don't stress, have fun!

costumegirl 01-23-2019 09:38 AM

I really like what you have! Looks great! You can use your design wall to lay them out so that you don't have a concentration of the same shades/fabrics in one area and then sew them in blocks to make it easier. Your project is fun - great job!