Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Can Y'all help me with a puzzle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/can-yall-help-me-puzzle-t303332.html)

SweatyPie 03-02-2019 09:44 AM

Can Y'all help me with a puzzle?

Im setting hear wondering if the motor parts of a Singer model 99 with that bent dome wood case can come off and be put on a featherweight? They sure do look a like, but they have different birthdays per the little chart my grandbaby found for me on the web, so I am just not entirely sure.

Also, can a featherweight be made into a handcrank if you don't worry about it fittin in the case no more?

Many thank yous--

Mickey2 03-02-2019 10:32 AM

No, the Featherweight motor is smaller and has a different fitting. The 99 has the basic full size Singer motor, much the same as found on 15, 66 belt driven 201s,... You can use one of the new replacement motors for the Featherweight, they work well enough. Usually you can repair the old motor, and in the worst of case I know some have had the internal motor parts rewound with new copper wire.

There is a hand crank made for the Featherweight, but it will never be much more than turning the balance wheel by hand since there isn't the geared action you get on a real hand crank. Some like the hand crank handle for the Featherweight though, but as mentioned, you don't get the speed of a regular hand crank.

KalamaQuilts 03-02-2019 10:41 AM

the 99 can be turned into a sweet hand crank or treadle though...that is what I use my 66 for (both types)

SweatyPie 03-03-2019 07:52 AM

Thank-ya'll kindly. I do love my machines, but they are a bit beyond me.

KalamaQuilts 03-03-2019 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 8218942)
Good luck finding a treadle base for a 99 in the US.

Cari

good catch cari, I forgot it was a shorty.

leonf 03-03-2019 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Handcranks work well on big 66s or 3/4 sized 99s and 28s[ATTACH=CONFIG]609624[/ATTACH]

de_sjiem 03-05-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8219319)
good catch cari, I forgot it was a shorty.

If you or someone you know is handy with a little woodworking and has a spare treadle base somewhere, you could cut a hole in a wood piece and line up the balance wheel to the flywheel of the treadle base and make your own treadled 99... Not the easiest route, but definitely doable with a little time :-)

Farmhousesewer 03-07-2019 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As did Di ( I don't need no stinkin' motor). I think she sold it . I have one that someone collected for decor while working in Great Britain and brought it back to the USA upon retirement. I drove from Tennessee to Lexington KY and back in one day to get it. It is a 28, treadle and handcrank combo.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]609885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]609886[/ATTACH]