Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   donation quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/donation-quilt-question-t303794.html)

meyert 03-24-2019 07:47 AM

donation quilt question

Every year I make a quilt for our church's dinner to raffle off. I am working on this years and I have a question about the backing.... this is a catholic church and there is some fabric that has the prayer hail mary on it.

The color of the hail mary fabric matches the colors on the front of the quilt great.... i would probably have to piece the backing and so it would only be half of the back hail mary and the other half something matching but solid

would that be a turn off having the prayer on the back of the quilt? what do you think? I know some of the church members would love it but I just don't know because I don't know who will actually win it.

any thoughts?

tallchick 03-24-2019 07:54 AM

IMHO, if someone is donating money to a church raffle, the likelihood that they would be offended by anything religious would be a bit odd. I think your safe on this one!

QuiltE 03-24-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8229982)
IMHO, if someone is donating money to a church raffle, the likelihood that they would be offended by anything religious would be a bit odd. I think your safe on this one!

........... and if they were offended, then it would prove that would be odd!! :)

Chances are anyone buying the raffle ticket will not see the back.
Only the winner will.

Seriously, if you are concerned, and having second thoughts, the maybe you should not include it.
Otherwise, speak with some of the others involved in this event.
However ....... you know how that may go, and just be opening a big can of worms.

Might be best to make your own decision ...... and go ahead, with or without Hail Mary included!

GEMRM 03-24-2019 10:27 AM

"It is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission first....." or something like that - there's a famous quote which I'm only partially remembering....

nativetexan 03-24-2019 10:35 AM

If you use it on the back, center it and add fabric around it if possible. should look fine.

meyert 03-24-2019 10:47 AM

thanks for your replies.... sometimes I worry too much. in this case not so much about offending the winner as much as the quilt that I spent time and money on not be used/loved because of the prayer fabric.

QuiltE 03-24-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 8230038)
"It is better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission first....." or something like that - there's a famous quote which I'm only partially remembering....

You nailed it GemRM .... ITA!

SillySusan 03-24-2019 01:14 PM

These days anything could offend somebody, but it would be a really odd person to be offended by the backing of a quilt such as you are planning ... to be raffled off in your church!

zozee 03-24-2019 02:36 PM

Is the front overtly Catholic ? If so, then a hail Mary backing would be just fine. But if the front is "neutral" in theme, I would think a neutral-themed backing would appeal to a far larger crowd. You want to appeal to the masses (no pun intended).

redmadder 03-24-2019 11:58 PM

Wait a minute. The quote is 'It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission'.

Consider your potential raffle buyer. Limited to your church? Use it. Larger audience. Don't.