Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mixing Applique Stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mixing-applique-stitches-t304925.html)

Libits 05-27-2019 05:14 AM

Mixing Applique Stitches

1 Attachment(s)
I have my heart set on making a puppy quilt but I’m not sure what to do about the applique stitches. If I use a zig-zag or blanket stitch on the outline of the applique (within the red circles), what can I use for the inside detail of the legs (within the blue circles)? I don’t think it would look right continuing on with the zig-zag stitch, yet switching to a straight stitch in the middle of zig-zaging may not look right, either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613310[/ATTACH]

MarionsQuilts 05-27-2019 05:56 AM

I would use the blanket stitch for areas where fabric is on top of other fabric. I would use a straight stitch for those lines in between (i.e. the toes, parts of the legs) just so you can just definition.

Very cute pic!

Have fun

Mitty 05-27-2019 06:17 AM

I would use the same zigzag or blanket stitch all they way around the outlines of each piece, including the blue parts of the legs, but then a straight stitch for the parts that are not outlines, like between the toes. Even though the legs are next to each other, they're still separate pieces, while the toes are part of the same piece.

JustAbitCrazy 05-27-2019 06:18 AM

You could use the blanket stitch all over. In those areas where the lines meet, you'd just do two lines of opposing stitches, one line facing right, the other line facing left, if you follow what I am trying to say. I think that's what I would do.

grannyQ 05-27-2019 10:40 AM

When I do this kind of applique on animal quilts I do a close zig-zag stitch on all of the lines. I use a real close stitch with the zig zag stitch about on a 4 or 5 st width. I have used this on a lot of baby quilts and they hold up fine. Just start stitching on lines that you will usually cross with another line. Like the toes first.

meanmom 05-28-2019 05:58 AM

You could use a smaller zig zag stitch for the details. My machine had a stitch that looks like backstitch embroidery that I use a lot. I think it is called a triple stitch.

AlvaStitcher 05-29-2019 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613367[/ATTACH] When I appliqué anything with details inside the borders, I use a straight stitch or outline stitch. I have a quilt I did many years ago of a lion with the same legs as shown in your picture. I just couldn’t find a pic of it to post. I took the picture from a coloring book. I have used the book several times for inspiration. Looks like maybe yours is by the same artist.

QuiltnNan 05-29-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher (Post 8259256)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613367[/ATTACH] When I appliqué anything with details inside the borders, I use a straight stitch or outline stitch. I have a quilt I did many years ago of a lion with the same legs as shown in your picture. I just couldn’t find a pic of it to post. I took the picture from a coloring book. I have used the book several times for inspiration. Looks like maybe yours is by the same artist.

Alva, this is terrific!

mea12 05-29-2019 01:21 PM

the triple stretch stitch sometimes referred to as "saddle stitch" is a straight stitch with to and fro motion and it could be used on the inner lines separating toes. If you don't have that stitch, can just back-stitch over previous line if you wanted a bit more definition.