Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutting machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutting-machine-t30572.html)

mimi 11-30-2009 10:44 AM

Hi,
This is my first post and I have a question. Has anyone used the Simlicity Rotary Cutting Machine that JoAnn sells. I would love to get it because when it comes to cutting sashing strips or any strip I am paranoid about exact measurements. And I know that this fear comes from listening to a well known quilter say that if you are a thread off on your strips you might as well throw away the whole project. Since that time i can't tell you how I agonize over my cutting. It really has prevented me from doing so much more quilting. Did you ever have this fear and if so how did you over come it Thanks Mimi

amma 11-30-2009 11:09 AM

These machines are great, I just wish that wider strips could be cut with them.

renee765 11-30-2009 11:38 AM

Good grief! If I had to throw out all projects that I was a thread off on cutting the strips, I would have NO FINISHED PROJECTS.

IMHO, quilting is done for the pleasure of the creation, and the enjoyment of seeing a completed product. Please don't let someone take the enjoyment out of quilting for you. I'd rather you be a couple of threads off than not quilt at all!
Renee

Pinkiris 11-30-2009 11:39 AM

Shame on that "well known quilter"!! HER cuts may be perfect every time (although I doubt it) but mine certainly aren't. But I'm having a good time doing what I'm doing to the best of my ability.

Don't stress yourself out of quilting!

Sue

adriansmom 11-30-2009 01:08 PM

It's like I say...my quilting is consistently inconsistent and that works for me.

sewfunquilts 11-30-2009 01:13 PM

For goodness sakes, that "perfect quilt police person" should not be teaching others! What a discouraging thing you've gone through. I have a dear friend quilter who always says this......."Do you want it perfect?? or do you want it finished"?

So true.....so true. Don't be intimidated by people like her, and enjoy your projects.

Good luck!

BellaBoo 11-30-2009 01:39 PM

I tried out one of the machines. It was hard for me to keep the strip perfectly straight but it's great for cutting strips for string piecing. If perfect accuracy is a must for you I suggest checking out the AcuQuilt Go or Studio die cut machine. Can't get any more accurate cuts then die cuts. Try jelly rolls for binding strips and sashing and borders. I can sew two jelly roll strips together to get a wide border. Shame on the quilter who told you such discouraging information. She is so wrong! Enjoy making a quilt and if it is far from perfect you are in fantastic company! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mimi 12-01-2009 11:34 AM

Hi Again,
I want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my question and also for the encouragement to keep on trying to cut stright strips. I might look into the Acuquilt and the Studio die Cut Machine, I never knew these things existed.Thanks again and you really are a special group of ladies and friends. Mimi