Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Discovered a new embroidery and quilting thread. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/discovered-new-embroidery-quilting-thread-t305818.html)

Onebyone 07-17-2019 02:53 PM

Discovered a new embroidery and quilting thread.

I went to a machine embroidery class today. The instructor had two machines set up for demoing. Her stitching was perfect with no thread issues at all. I asked her what type of thread she was using and she said Brothread. I never heard of it. She said it was fairly new and she buy is on Amazon. She does all her quilting in a hoop with it too. She was using a Brother and Bernina machine. I came home and ordered a set.

fruitloop 07-17-2019 03:18 PM

A guild member was talking using Brothread in her LA last week. She got a sample cone and liked it a lot. She buys the super large three cone set for less then $15. At that price it's worth a try.

Onebyone 07-17-2019 03:32 PM

I got 40 mini cones for about $25. If I don't like it I haven't invested enough to have regrets. I think I'll like it. I have the same model Brother machine she was using.

sJens 07-18-2019 05:50 AM

Have never heard of it but will check it out. Thank you for sharing.

juliasb 07-18-2019 06:51 AM

My embroidery needs on my machine is simple. I use an inexpensive Brother with only a 4: hoop. I have pretty much mastered doing pieces in sections that I want for a larger image. I have a nice digitizer software package that divides mmy images and I use the grid for placement of each section. The majority of the images I do are within the 4" range or near 9.5mm. Seeing demos on what can be done is a lot of fun.
As far as thread I have enough to last a lifetime. I went on a thread binge a few years ago and have every color of the rainbow and from many different thread companies. I found that buying a cheaper thread is a total waste of money. I keep my threads in closed containers out of the sunlight.

Onebyone 07-18-2019 07:15 AM

found that buying a cheaper thread is a total waste of money.

I have been using only Floriani thread and it is the best quality of all the threads I have used for embroidery. So far this Brothread has performed the same for me with the trial runs I have been doing since I got it. I think for designs going on dish towels, tee shirts, things that won't last it will be fine. I don't know the quality for long term yet. For quilting embroidery I will stay with the Floriani.

Macybaby 07-18-2019 09:18 AM

I have quite a bit of the Brothread (bought from Amazon) and the price is very good. I've not had any significant problems with it, but overall I like the results I get with the Floriani thread better. So far those are the only two I've used.

I think the main thing for me is the colors don't seem quite as "rich" as the floriani, however sometimes having something with just a tad less sheen is fine. I do think a person would be hard pressed to tell which colors on the embroidery where which thread.

I'm sewing on a Babylock Destiny - and this machine seems very un-particular about thread. Most of the problems I've had are due to the thread coming off the spool and getting caught somewhere - not in the machine making a stitch.

Onebyone 07-18-2019 01:36 PM

I use a spool stand and thread nets and don't have a problem with thread coming off the spool. I use this set up for piecing, quilting, and embroidery.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>The instructor gave me several spools of the Brothread to try while waiting on my order.&nbsp; She gets it wholesale so it must be pennies for her.&nbsp; LOL

Rff1010 04-20-2023 02:36 PM

I want to revive this Brothread...thread...to see if anyone has used it extensively for quilting - particularly for Longarms. Price on Amazon is half that of Glide. I purchased 1 cone and thought it was fine, but others here have much more experience .

Chime in on your thoughts about Brothread!

dunster 04-20-2023 10:08 PM

I'm also interested in whether Brothread is good on longarms. Is it a trilobal? I buy most of my poly 40wt thread from Metroemb.com. It's currently $5.50 for a 5000m cone.