Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing Board covers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-board-covers-t306384.html)

nativetexan 08-18-2019 07:36 AM

Ironing Board covers

I have an old June Tailor ironing board cover. I just looked and it can only be hand washed. Every one i looked at in Wal-marts say no machine washing. Why.? this cover doesn't have padding. that is a thin separate piece for my board. it looks terrible and I'd like a clean one that can be washed. anyone??

osewme 08-18-2019 07:45 AM

I don't know who would make a cover that could not be washed in the machine. Maybe you could use it as a pattern & make one out of fabric in your stash. That's what I did years ago & it works great.

nativetexan 08-18-2019 08:04 AM

well it said hand wash so it's in the machine now. i had on intention of putting it into the dryer. if it turns out terrible i can buy another one. just wondered about brands.

Peckish 08-18-2019 08:05 AM

I like to make covers out of cotton duck. It's washable and is great for quilting because my fabrics and quilt blocks don't slide around like they do on the silver covers.

QuiltE 08-18-2019 08:30 AM

Often times it's a CYA! ..... whether, ironing board covers, clothes, curtains, etc.

ITA with Peckish, cotton covers are nicer for pressing blocks and smaller pieces of fabric.

However, when pressing yardage or a completed quilt top, I much prefer the silver (teflon?).
Much easier to slide it along as I mover from one section to the other as I press.

So ... what I do now is have my ironing board covered with the silver.
Then a slip-on ironing board cover that can be removed to wash or when pressing the bigger stuff.
I just use a pretty piece of quilting cotton that makes me happy to see it!
Win-Win!

Onebyone 08-18-2019 08:32 AM

Take it out of the washer and put on ironing board. It will dry tight to fit the board. No struggling to make it fit. While wet it will be easy to stretch to fit.

pocoellie 08-18-2019 08:44 AM

Every cover I've bought has said the same thing, but I go ahead and wash it, if it shrinks too much then I toss it, but I've pretty much been making my own for quite a while, I made several at the same time, out of some heavy "pillow tucking" fabric. Works for me. LOL

nativetexan 08-18-2019 09:07 AM

so far it's looking good. i sprayed with Oxy clean. that helped a lot.

quilterpurpledog 08-18-2019 09:34 AM

I'm like Peckish. I buy cotton duck to make ironing board covers. I prefer that to regular canvas because I like the prints. I wash the duck cloth before I cut the covers and I don't have a problem with shrinkage. When they are soiled from starch or other stuff I wash in regular wash with towels and dry in the dryer. Works great and is not expensive. I was so disappointed in the quality the last time I tried to take a short cut and buy one. No way!

RedGarnet222 08-18-2019 09:43 AM

I also make my own and it is so satisfying to have more than one around to change it out. Quick and easy fix when they get soiled from the spray.