Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Design Suggestions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/design-suggestions-please-t306912.html)

bernamom 09-16-2019 07:11 AM

Design Suggestions Please

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617447[/ATTACH]So, Im working on this quilt, I know I made the white border too big, but Im not taking it out, Im going to add apliques to fill the space a bit. Where I need help is, I need to make it bigger. The recipient is a big guy. I was thinking of adding black, purple and 'Raven' borders but I'm not sure how big and what order. The 'Raven border currently on is 6 inches. I am open to suggestions. I am out of black cotton (crazy, I know) so I need to run to the store anyway.

Iceblossom 09-16-2019 07:22 AM

To make it bigger I would consider changing the direction of the top, that is the football field would be cross-wise instead of lengthwise. Then you would add in more borders top/bottom, maybe one along the side.

I might even trim down the current outer border just a tad, then I'd probably put in some sort of white/light and probably pieced narrow border (2-4"), a 6" or so and then finally about 8-10". You can even go off the color scheme for those wide edges, maybe an all-over brown football print?

And of course there are the constraints of what does the store have and how much time to you wish to devote.

Good luck, it's a fun piece for a football fan and just as it is is a good size for watching tv or going to a local game.

Tartan 09-16-2019 07:49 AM

If it needs to be a lot bigger, I would do pieced football blocks to enlarge. I did the football block pattern for a sampler from the site Molli Sparkles and it was easy.

juliasb 09-16-2019 08:09 AM

I am sure you will get a number of good ideas on enlarging this beautiful quilt. For me I am in awe of your work so far.

RedGarnet222 09-16-2019 09:42 AM

I don't know anything about this team or the game. But style wise a green on the outside edge would "feel" right to me.
I am thinking a green plaid with the white stripes would look great. Kind of like a stadium blanket.

Iceblossom 09-16-2019 10:34 AM

I like RedGarnet's idea of a plaid with green and white and maybe even be able to pick up the beak tone from the Ravens logo. I think that would be a great addition.

zozee 09-16-2019 12:48 PM

Baltimore Ravens fan here! Whole family except me went to the game yesterday where we beat the Cardinals!

I am thinking do a piano keys border using the grey,and gold in the logo, then bind with purple.

jacqueck 09-17-2019 02:58 AM

When you finish this, they'll love it. How big is it, and how much larger would you like it to be? I'd narrow that wide outside border to 4.5 to 5 inches. Add a narrow white border (or black), about 2 - 2.5" then the piano key idea is wonderful. Make it up to 6" wide, using all the colors in the quilt. Bind in black. Enjoy, it's great so far.

bernamom 09-17-2019 12:51 PM

Lots of great ideas, I'm really liking the idea of changing the direction of the field. That never would have occured to me...This is going to end up looking very different than what I had envisioned in the beginning. I am hoping to finish next weekend. I'll post a pic when done. Thanks all!