Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   It's Finished! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/its-finished-t307200.html)

juliasb 09-30-2019 08:42 AM

It's Finished!

2 Attachment(s)
I started this quilt during the summer. I had a few delays but just finished it a few minutes ago. This quilt is unique to me because I am a very traditional quilter and this quilt is a bunch of techniques I have never done before. I did a number of different motifs as I did this QAYG project. I have done other QAYG quilts but none that I have completed by stacking one piece to the other as the quilt grew. Amazing way to work. I will do this again very soon. Mostly it was the sandwiching and basting that became fun instead of a chore. I used the Elmer's Washable School Glue. The quilt will go in the wash when I finish this message. Most of the quilting is FMQ that I thoroughly enjoyed. One section I did make as a foundation block. That too was fun. Row by Row it got bigger. I thought I was going to make a small baby quilt but it just kept growing. Now it measures 69"x 82". Last but not least, though people have been doing this for many years I did my first all machine sewn binding. I have always done my bindings one side by machine and the other side by hand. I will need a bit more practice on this as well as other new things I tried.

Here are some pictures: I also did a bit of stippling and FMQ the feathers on the last row. Like with any quilt I ran into a couple of problems getting it square. In the end it is a fun quilt and I learned a great deal of new things that I can apply in future quilts.

nativetexan 09-30-2019 09:08 AM

Oh so cute! love your feather work!!

Tartan 09-30-2019 10:11 AM

​Well done!

QuiltnNan 09-30-2019 10:21 AM

nicely done

helou 09-30-2019 10:55 AM

cute quilt and nice that you tried different technics at the same time"

Darcyshannon 09-30-2019 03:47 PM

How did you like putting a stripy quilt together? I am thinking of doing one with all my scraps

juliasb 09-30-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon (Post 8307993)
How did you like putting a stripy quilt together? I am thinking of doing one with all my scraps

I had a great deal of fun. Totally scrappy. I just grabbed from my bag of strips and there they went. Some I did on foundation fabric others I did on paper. One row I even did some fancy stitch work. So I tried 2 different things with the strip quilt blocks. I liked using a foundation fabric best even though that row was a bit heavier that other. I thought I would use up more strips that I did. I guess I just have a lot of scraps.
Also the QAYG process made it move very quickly. I used a stencil for part and a paper overlay on others for the quilting.

juliasb 09-30-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by helou (Post 8307903)
cute quilt and nice that you tried different technics at the same time"

The whole plan was to try (good results or not) new techniques. Also not to feel stress about this quilt at all. I believe I achieved the primary goals I set out to do.

Kassaundra 09-30-2019 04:06 PM

Great job, fun quilt.

BrendaK 09-30-2019 05:23 PM

Super. BrendaK