Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you tame your straight pins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-tame-your-straight-pins-t307267.html)

Rhonda K 10-04-2019 11:25 AM

How do you tame your straight pins?

Do your pins behave and stay in their container? Do you sort them by size/type? Pin cushion or box for storage? Do you have a cute pin cushion picture to share?

My pins are sorted on magnetic pin holders. I just re-sorted the little beasts that wanted to run askew! Prickly, I'll say.

The blue ones are back with the blue ones. The white ones are all back in their place now. I can only find the green glass head pins. The rust ones ran off to a party somewhere. Such a life in the sewing room!

nativetexan 10-04-2019 12:22 PM

my problem is i don't know which ones are my glass head pins anymore. one's you can iron over. not that i do that of course!

EasyPeezy 10-04-2019 12:36 PM

I have a pin cushion for each type of pin. Otherwise it's a mess that
I don't want to have to sort out every time I need a few pins.

QuiltnNan 10-04-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 8309597)
I have a pin cushion for each type of pin. Otherwise it's a mess that
I don't want to have to sort out every time I need a few pins.

this is my strategy as well

bearisgray 10-04-2019 12:47 PM

I sort my straight pins, too.

I suppose it would be easier if I only had one size of them.

Iceblossom 10-04-2019 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to replace my existing quilting size pins with thinner pins but the ones I want are expensive. I have a huge pincushion a friend made me from wool that is stuffed with raw wool. In among my more compulsive acts, I typically group pins in sets of three because I rarely pin if I need less than three. I should take a picture...

I put my glasses in for scale, holds a couple hundred pins. Penny, if you are out there, I think of you every time I see it so that is most every day.

Tartan 10-04-2019 01:42 PM

I have my everyday straight pins on a pin cushion. Then my strong thicker ones stay in a case until I do binding. I just got a new container or gold headed ones in a little diamond shape container because they were so shiny and pretty. My inner Magpie had to have them.:D

Stitchnripper 10-04-2019 02:28 PM

I used to use the flower head pins and had then in a magnetic bowl. But I watched Sally Collins on a free episode of The Quilt Show and she used the much thinner ones with the tiny bead head, so I got those, moved the flower ones to a bin, and now only use the thinner ones. I like to think it helps my "precision".

Moira in N.E. England 10-04-2019 03:02 PM

I keep my pins in small plastic boxes and keep the boxes in my craft cupboard.
If I don’t those pesky gremlins muddle them up and spill them on the floor! :D

Rhonda K 10-04-2019 03:18 PM

Love all the ways you keep your pins!

Iceblossom, That pin cushion is adorable!