Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tshirt quilt scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tshirt-quilt-scraps-t307366.html)

meyert 10-10-2019 12:38 PM

tshirt quilt scraps

Ok I am working on a tshirt quilt and I have the backs of the shirts left. I am wondering if I could interface them and use them as the quilt binding.

Has anyone done that? It would be a scrappy binding but it would match all of the shirts

Any thoughts?

osewme 10-10-2019 01:03 PM

Can't answer your question about using tshirt scraps for binding but how about using them in blocks on the back of the quilt if they are large enough? Now that I'm re-reading your post I'm assuming that the backs are blank with no logos on them. Well, maybe interfaced binding would work.

greensleeves 10-10-2019 01:13 PM

I would be concerned that using interfaced t-shirt material would be too thick and hard to work with for binding or be too much seam bulk if used as part of the backing. i have given leftover t-shirt and other fabric scraps to the animal shelter-they use it as filler for beds for the animals.

Mkotch 10-11-2019 02:24 AM

I've made "yarn" out of leftover tshirts and used it in knitting or crocheting hotpads. I love using the leftovers for cleaning windows, too. Not sure I'd use them for binding as it might be too stretchy.

hobbykat1955 10-11-2019 03:29 AM

I agree to bulky esp when you get to corners. I wouldn't use them. Also using for backing might make the quilt a bit heavy between more interfacing and then batting...

bearisgray 10-11-2019 03:44 AM

I used t-shirt knit to bind a quilt - I cut it on the "cross-grain" and treated it like bias binding.

meyert 10-11-2019 04:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

bearisgray - I did think of buying some tshirt material - - but I think if I am going to purchase fabric I would purchase cotton. I was hoping to be frugal :) :)

maviskw 10-11-2019 04:06 AM

A group near me uses T-shirts to make diapers for the missions. I haven't found out if they will accept parts of T-shirts. I want to know because I have a pile of those left over parts, too.

sewbizgirl 10-11-2019 04:43 AM

We use them as household rags for cleaning. They are awesome for that.

nlgh 10-11-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 8311857)
Ok I am working on a tshirt quilt and I have the backs of the shirts left. I am wondering if I could interface them and use them as the quilt binding.

Has anyone done that? It would be a scrappy binding but it would match all of the shirts

Any thoughts?

When I was in a quilting group at church back in Oklahoma, we made diapers to send to missionaries in Africa. I don't remember all the steps now, but a rectangle was cut from the back of the T-shirt, folded in thirds, then a closure was attached. That was over 10 years ago and my memory isn't that long anymore. There might be instructions if you google diapers.