Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Revitalizing Seam Fix seam ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/revitalizing-seam-fix-seam-ripper-t307453.html)

hray 10-15-2019 03:18 PM

Revitalizing Seam Fix seam ripper

I really like my seam fix seam ripper, but the nubby top has gotten hard and smooth, and won’t grab thread bits like it used to. Does anyone know of a way to revitalize it?

Mousie 10-15-2019 03:24 PM

sounds like the moisture went out of it. I think ppl might be afraid to
reply bc if it get messed up they don't want it to be their fault,
it could be you just posted and they haven't had time to think of
anything :D.
I'd go with the moisture thing and see if sitting in a glass of water
with only a half inch maybe, and see what that does.
It might be old and have arthritis, then there's no cure yet. ;)

JustAbitCrazy 10-15-2019 03:32 PM

Sounds to me like a pencil eraser that gets hard and won't erase. If soaking in water doesn't work, I'd try coating it with rubber cement and letting that dry, or taking a sharp pen knife to it and cutting away a layer all around, because I'd figure I have nothing to lose, it already doesn't work. :p And I'd probably replace it no matter if that worked or not, because I have about a dozen seam rippers all over the house, lol.

QuiltE 10-15-2019 03:50 PM

My thoughts are that maybe the rubber part has got coated with all the grunge of the scrubbing.
And that maybe if it were scrubbed up a bit with something rough ...
...like maybe one of those green kitchen nylon scrubbies to help get it back to life?

Good Luck!

However ... maybe this is a question to ask the manufacturer?
If it's happened to you .... it has probably happened to others before,
so they should have answers for you.

patinpoconos 10-16-2019 03:13 AM

The eraser ends of those pilot disappearing pens work great for threads.

juliasb 10-16-2019 05:41 AM

Sounds like something I should purchase today when I am out. Learn something new here everyday.

Onebyone 10-16-2019 05:50 AM

File it with an emery board.

maviskw 10-16-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8314031)
File it with an emery board.

An even better tool would be sandpaper. When my old erasers stop erasing, I use sandpaper to take off the ourside layer. Then they work like new again. If that doesn't work, I'd say ditch it.

dee1245 10-16-2019 06:41 PM

I use a soft white rubber eraser. It works the same way and very inexpensive compared to replacing the seam ripper.

tuckyquilter 10-17-2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by hray (Post 8313816)
I really like my seam fix seam ripper, but the nubby top has gotten hard and smooth, and won’t grab thread bits like it used to. Does anyone know of a way to revitalize it?

I have one of those white erasers that I keep as my thread grabber. I can go right down the ripped seam and it clean things up really fast.