Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   High School Graduation Quilt Size? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/high-school-graduation-quilt-size-t307693.html)

Reader1 10-28-2019 07:17 AM

High School Graduation Quilt Size?

I would like to make quilts for each of my 4 grandchildren ages 15, 11, 11, and 7 and store for H.S. graduation gifts. They won't be tee shirt quilts. What size do you make graduation quilts for children or grandchildren?

maryb119 10-28-2019 07:33 AM

What ever size they want. I make tee shirt quilts for my grandkids at graduation. Some have been throw size because that is what they want and it goes well with the number of tee shirts they gave me to use. Some have been queen size.

juliasb 10-28-2019 07:47 AM

I have usually made full since the majority have gone onto collage and could take the quilt for use in the dorm and it would fit a dorm bed well. If not going onto collage I have made queen size for a couple and am working on a queen size even now as a late graduation quilt.

Crqltr 10-28-2019 09:27 AM

I made full size for graduation gifts, they fit on a dorm bed or for couch potatoes to cuddle up in to watch tv...

Iceblossom 10-28-2019 09:43 AM

For my relatives, I do baby quilt at first, twin quilt at 1st grade, and typically queen sized for high school graduation. A lot of kids these days are in queen beds much earlier in life than I was :)

So far there hasn't been a wedding quilt, my son and DDiL have gotten married but so far and despite being asked have shared no hints on to what they would want as a wedding quilt and I've stopped asking -- the others are all single and around 30 now.

NJ Quilter 10-29-2019 03:22 AM

I've made over-size twin quilts for HS graduation. Most dorm beds are XL twins. My oversize usually ends up close to a 'full' bed size.

zozee 10-29-2019 05:39 AM

I would do XL twin. It's perfect for a dorm bed, perfect for a couch, the beach--anywhere, really. The main thing is to make it at least twice their wingspan, and two feet longer than their height so that they always have plenty of quilt to relax under and not fight with.

citruscountyquilter 10-30-2019 02:39 AM

It looks like I'm the odd man out here on size but I make is what I've seen referred to as a "couch quilt" which is smaller than a bed size quilt. It is more in the line of 62-65" x 50-55" range. It is easy to snuggle up with, large enough to use on top of a bed (but not cover the whole top with overhang) for warmth and not so heavy and hard to drag around as a big quilt. It also can be most any pattern and colors as it is not going to be used as a decorator specific item like a bed quilt. It is the size that I make for gifts of any ages.
For those who are making quilts for people to take to college make sure you mark your quilts with names and labels that aren't easily removed as the communal life of college students (whether in the dorm or apartment) makes it easy for things to come up missing.

Lena1952 10-30-2019 03:02 AM

I'm with you, Citruscountquilter. Mine are in the range of 55"x65" to 60"x80" size. They get a larger, often Queen size, when the graduate college or get married.

illinois 10-30-2019 03:12 AM

Looks like several of us are the "late bloomers" at the end of this list. I have made couch throw size that is long enough for snuggling for graduation.
I admire those who want to send their grads to college with a hand-made quilt but for the hours and money put into a quilt, I'd never do that. Your grad may appreciate the work put into such a sweet gift but that quilt is going to be so mistreated, misused and maybe even stolen or put in the trash, I'd buy one of those bed-in-a-bag sets and have them leave the sentimentally hand-made one on their bed at home for a keepsake.