Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straight stitch plate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-stitch-plate-t307741.html)

Marcy J. 10-30-2019 11:06 AM

Straight stitch plate

I have a Janome 8200 Horizon with a single hole stitch plate. It is not difficult to change plates, but if you forget and want to move your needle or use a ZZ you break a needle.. How many of the quilters out there use their straight stitch plate on a regular basis.

QuiltnNan 10-30-2019 11:34 AM

I nevers use it on my piecing machine. That being said, I have a foot I use with a single hole and sometimes forget to cancel my zig zag stitch when I put it on :(

Tartan 10-30-2019 11:37 AM

I don’t even own a single hole plate for my Bernina. I do have one on my old Singer.

GEMRM 10-30-2019 11:49 AM

If I put the single hole plate in my machine, I put a sticky note over the button I use to change to zig zag, then I can't "accidently" change my stitch.... unless the sticky falls off of course....

mkc 10-30-2019 11:56 AM

I use the straight stitch setting on my Janome 7700 quite often - absolutely when FMQ. The 7700 has that funky dual-function APC (automatic plate conversion) plate. When you move between straight stitch and full-width settings, the machine reminds you to check the bobbin thread first, so I imagine it can tell which setting the plate is in.

I've used the straight stitch plate a couple of times on my Elna 760 and I'm pretty sure it has a sensor to tell it which plate is installed so it won't let you select a zigzag or move the needle if the straight stitch plate is in place.

eparys 10-30-2019 12:10 PM

I use mine all the time. Some machines have an interlock that you can set to prevent that from happening and some of the newer machines the minute you snap the single hole plate in place it locks the needle position. My issue is that I have two machines - one of each type - lol - so there is an occasional mess up.

EasyPeezy 10-30-2019 12:38 PM

On the Janome 6600 I put a big sticky note...cover all the function buttons.
The 9400 is a lot easier because it won't let you do zig zag stitches (etc)
with a straight stitch plate.

thimblebug6000 10-30-2019 12:45 PM

My Husqvarna Sapphire 870Q has a Width Safety setting to select with the single hole plate. If I forget to change out the plate and select a zig zag the machine will only do a straight stitch....then "a-ha" I remember to change the plate.

nativetexan 10-30-2019 04:09 PM

When i had my Singer machine I was used to changing my stitch plate when necessary. With my Janome, i use the same one all the time. never think of it. luckily no problems yet.

cashs_mom 10-30-2019 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 8320459)
If I put the single hole plate in my machine, I put a sticky note over the button I use to change to zig zag, then I can't "accidently" change my stitch.... unless the sticky falls off of course....

This is what I do. I love my sticky notes!