Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lessons learned (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lessons-learned-t308132.html)

NickiZ 11-19-2019 05:33 PM

Lessons learned

Had a real moment today - but learned two things.

#1 - When making a double border around a quilt top - add one border at a time. I thought it would be easier to sew both my borders together, then sew them to the quilt - did NOT like that look at all. Lesson Learned

#2 - When decided how big to make your borders always remember to divide by two. My baby quilt block was 31" square and I wanted the quilt to be at least 41". So I added a 10 inch border, made up of two colors (see #1). Well, that was a brain fart on my part - I should have added a 5" border all the way around instead of 10 inches all the way around. That quilt top with borders attached was huge! Lesson Learned - always divide the amount of border you want by two because you want it on two sides, not just one!

If I can't laugh at my own mistakes (and learn from them), then I'll be doing a lot of crying!

bearisgray 11-19-2019 06:04 PM

Most of us have learned a lot from our duh moments.

Pudge 11-19-2019 06:05 PM

How kind you are to share your lessons learned. For sure some folks will learn from you.

I have a One Block Wonder quilt I made that has wide borders. I'm trying to work up the energy to redo them.

TeresaA 11-19-2019 06:08 PM

Yayyyy, mistake made! Now you can cross that one off the list of mistakes you'll and we all will make in our lifetimes! Feels like an accomplishment, doesn't it?

Peckish 11-19-2019 06:50 PM

Welcome to the Been There, Done That Club! Would you like a club jacket or a club pin? :D

SusieQOH 11-19-2019 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8329542)
Welcome to the Been There, Done That Club! Would you like a club jacket or a club pin? :D

Ha! I'm a charter member :D
Glad you mentioned the first one though. I've thought of doing multiple borders that way. I won't now!

TheMerkleFamily 11-19-2019 07:12 PM

It seems every quilt (project) offers one or more 'lessons to be learned' - I've come to expect them! Doesn't mean I always like 'em but I know they're coming. Some are simple oversights, that are bound to happen, others have been great (and expensive) learning opportunities :D Actually, I think it's all part of the enjoyment I get from quilting as I love to learn!

luvstoquilt 11-20-2019 03:59 AM

I am laughing. Some of my bright ideas are really Duh moments and. Learned your first lesson all by myself!��

bearisgray 11-20-2019 04:11 AM

Sewing two strips for borders together before putting them on the body of the quilt-

If one is using cornerstones for the corners - I think that would work out fine.

It also works out well if one is going to miter the corners.

Iceblossom 11-20-2019 04:57 AM

I'm always learning and I'm always surprised by the relearning... just this summer I was working with some 6" precut squares. Great, I thought, a 2" border will make an 8" square. Well no, it made a 10" square (2 inches both sides!) and suddenly my project was a lot larger than I had envisioned.