Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Getting my dream sewing studio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/getting-my-dream-sewing-studio-t308169.html)

Macybaby 11-21-2019 07:23 AM

Getting my dream sewing studio

I'm still kind of in shock that this is all happening.

DH and I went on vacation in October, and when we got home I said I was glad to be home, just wished home was somewhere else. And DH agreed with me. So we decided to explore some options for moving much closer to where I work (I'm 84 miles from the office). We must have both been thinking about it but feeling the other wasn't interested - so we didn't bring it up.

Two criteria was enough room for my sewing (including LA) and a big garage for DH. We found a small house with a big 30x30 attached garage -with a full MIL suite above the garage.

The MIL suite has a big bedroom that is the perfect size for my LA, a nice walk in closet that is perfect for stash storage, a bathroom with a stack washer/dryer (if I wanted them), The other side is almost fully open, 17x27 - with some kitchen cabinets along the wall at one end. This is big enough I can even display my vintage sewing machines!

We put in an offer on Tuesday and it was accepted, with closing set for Dec 23rd. We aren't going to sell our current home until after we've moved out. We currently have a homestead with 40 acres so there is still going to be lots of downsizing.

We are moving to a small town (2,000 residents) so we figured it might take months to find a home that would be suitable, but it took two days. The home has been on a market a long time as not many people wanted something like that.

- after we got back from vacation and before deciding to move, I dug out a long time UFO crazy quilt and decided to finally get all the blocks made. It's a dream quilt I was making for myself but figured I'd never have a room to use it as I already have the perfect quilt for my current bedroom (burgundy and gold). But now that we are moving, my crazy quilt will be perfect for the bedroom in the new home!

I'm having a hard time sleeping at night, I keep waking up and thinking about how I'll put my cutting table and sewing machines - and part of me keeps thinking I'm just dreaming about a dream studio - not that I'm really going to have one.

Tartan 11-21-2019 07:31 AM

​Congratulations! It sounds perfect for both of you!

TheMerkleFamily 11-21-2019 07:35 AM

Congratulations Cathy! Such an exciting time for you - creating your very own 'dream sewing studio' in such an accommodating space sounds like so much fun! I'm hopeful you'll keep this thread updated with your plans and progress. You create such beautiful work and now to be able to display it all along with your antique machines - sounds like a slice of heaven :)

AStitchInTime 11-21-2019 09:37 AM

Congratulations. Sounds like a wonderful space for a studio. And think of all the extra time you'll have in your studio now that your commute will be shorter!

If you are in the pre-wash fabric camp, or like to give your batting a quick tumble in the dryer to remove creases, you may want to consider keeping the stacking washer & dryer. So much more convenient than having to haul it all back and forth from the main house.

Mariposa 11-21-2019 10:23 AM

Wow! Congratulations! Neat that you found a place so soon, and closer to your work. What a thrill for you! Have fun organizing and planning!

tallchick 11-21-2019 11:33 AM

Congratulations, sew very very exciting I can’t wait to see pics!

cashs_mom 11-21-2019 12:13 PM

Congratulations! That sounds amazing! My husband and I talk periodically about moving to a smaller house with some acreage and a set up something like you have. We'd like more space for our cars and, of course, a quilting space for me. I really can't complain much. I have the front two bedrooms upstairs for my sewing and quilting so I have considerable room. But as we are getting older, it would be nice to have a one story house and room for a bigger garage for the cars.

quiltingranny 11-21-2019 01:16 PM

Happy for you both. Best of Luck

Cheshirepat 11-21-2019 01:32 PM

Congratulations, just reading this made me smile! It truly sounds wonderful...wish you all the luck with the upcoming move and all the related *stuff*!

Rhonda K 11-21-2019 04:04 PM

Congratulations on your new adventure and the move. It sounds so exciting for you and your DH to make the move. Best wishes as you coordinate everything.