Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-quilt-t308781.html)

sunnydays 12-24-2019 09:12 AM

Help with quilt

I just washed my quilt in cold water and put it in the dryer on low. I embroidered one of the blocks and pressed fusible stabilizer on it. When I removed it from the dryer the block that has the embroidery on it is bubbly. What can I do to fix this. Have a Joyous holiday!!! Thanks to all.

Iceblossom 12-24-2019 09:34 AM

I don't do a lot of embroidery so there may be fixes I don't know, but I do have a couple of questions.

Can you post a picture??, that always helps. My idea of bubbly might be better or worse than yours :) It took me a long time to get the hang of the combination between my old school digital camera and my locked down current system that doesn't have Java installed (that causes some of the oddest problems).

What type of batting did you use? If cotton or wool you can try some ironing. That would be a big no if it is a poly batt like I usually use. Well, you can do a couple careful swipes but enough to press fabric is probably enough to melt poly.

Did you prewash your fabric before using the stabilizer?

juliasb 12-24-2019 09:45 AM

Sometimes, different embroidery threads shrink when washed. This 'bubbles' the embroidery work. I found that the closer I quilted the less it shows. The other thing I do with embroidered quilts is to have it dry cleaned. I know both of these things are a bit late for your quilt. I would try to press it some and stretch while pressing. You may still be able to quilt the block closer since it is only a single block. Others may have better ideas to help out.

sunnydays 12-24-2019 10:26 AM

Hi, I guess I just was panicking. We laid it on the bed a little damp and I could see bubbles in the embroidery blocks. The quilt is dry and just wrinkled. I used a cotton batting and I did wash my fabric before I made it. I will press the quilt and I think it will be just fine. First time using embroidery in any quilts I made. After I press it I will leave you know how it turned out. Thanks for all you help.

nativetexan 12-24-2019 04:16 PM

maybe dry clean after this? glad it worked out though.

mermaid 12-25-2019 03:14 AM

I think the culprit is the stabilizer--it did not adhere to the back of your fabric well and it is seperating from it. Maybe after a few more washings it will completely losen from the fabric, I hope you have quilted close enough that it doesn't 'wad'. I only use 'tear away' when it will be enclosed in a project-for this very reason.

P-BurgKay 12-25-2019 09:04 AM

Try using a steamer on it. It would be worth a try

cashs_mom 12-25-2019 09:08 AM

Did you use stabilizer or interfacing? If you used stabilizer, was it permanent or meant to be removed?

And I'm curious, why did you fuse something on the blocks? Was it after they were finished?

sunnydays 12-26-2019 05:51 AM

Hi, cashs_mom, I fused the stabilizer on the block before I embroidery it in the hoop. The stabilizer is permanent.
mermaid, the stabilizer will not come off as the embroidery is sewn on it. I pressed the quilt so it is fine.

Peckish 12-26-2019 08:10 AM

I would quilt it down.