Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki 2010 vs class 15 clone for FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-2010-vs-class-15-clone-fmq-t308932.html)

LRM 01-02-2020 10:11 AM

Juki 2010 vs class 15 clone for FMQ

Hi all! I am giving serious consideration to purchasing a Juki 2010 for FMQ and maybe walking foot quilting as well. This will give me a larger throat space in a primarily mechanical machine, coupled with the perfect electronic features of needle up/down, speed control and auto cutter. However, I own a class 15 clone and the repair guy has shown me how to set it up for free motion - using the regular foot (which is all I have.) This is a good machine, but the throat space is smaller than the Juki and it lacks the electronic features, of course. I use this clone as my backup machine when my little Bernina is in the shop. I would appreciate any pros and cons on using the Juki or the clone for quilting. Thanks!

Mitch's mom 01-02-2020 11:10 AM

The deal breaker for me would be the hook system. The Juki is a semi-industrial with a rotary hook system, what that means is the hook spins in one direction and can spin very fast giving you the high sewing speeds. A class 15 is an oscillating hook, what that means is the hook moves back and forth like a pendulum on a clock and is not nearly as fast as a rotary hook machine. Both systems work, and both have their fans, but for me a rotary hook system works more reliably and is practically jam proof.

Patricia Drew 01-02-2020 11:10 AM

Hi LRM! Are you new to FMQ ? If so, and you're able to FMQ on your Class 15 clone, you could start with that machine, and do smaller projects: table runners, place mats.

I started FMQ on a Singer 411G. The throat space was small, but I did quite a few small projects. Like your Class 15 clone, my Singer had no "needle down", speed control or thread cutter. So quite a few "cons" ... However it was good practice, and didn't cost me a cent LOL

After a while, I wanted to do larger projects, and purchased the Juki TL2010Q about 5 years ago. I can find no "cons" for that machine. I did a lot of research before buying, and bought online. No regrets whatsoever.

So if you can FMQ on your Class 15 clone, and are satisfied with the results, you could stick with it until the time comes when you're no longer happy with its limitations.

Keep us posted.

Jingle 01-02-2020 12:44 PM

I FMQ on a straight stitch only Juki TL 98QE I bought about 9 years ago. I have not had any problems with it. Never been in a shop for any reason. I just clean and oil it.

LRM 01-03-2020 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 8346650)
The deal breaker for me would be the hook system. The Juki is a semi-industrial with a rotary hook system, what that means is the hook spins in one direction and can spin very fast giving you the high sewing speeds. A class 15 is an oscillating hook, what that means is the hook moves back and forth like a pendulum on a clock and is not nearly as fast as a rotary hook machine. Both systems work, and both have their fans, but for me a rotary hook system works more reliably and is practically jam proof.

Great point! Thank you!

LRM 01-03-2020 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew (Post 8346651)
Hi LRM! Are you new to FMQ ? If so, and you're able to FMQ on your Class 15 clone, you could start with that machine, and do smaller projects: table runners, place mats.

I started FMQ on a Singer 411G. The throat space was small, but I did quite a few small projects. Like your Class 15 clone, my Singer had no "needle down", speed control or thread cutter. So quite a few "cons" ... However it was good practice, and didn't cost me a cent LOL

After a while, I wanted to do larger projects, and purchased the Juki TL2010Q about 5 years ago. I can find no "cons" for that machine. I did a lot of research before buying, and bought online. No regrets whatsoever.

So if you can FMQ on your Class 15 clone, and are satisfied with the results, you could stick with it until the time comes when you're no longer happy with its limitations.

Keep us posted.

I have been doing small things - and even some small quilts on my Bernina, and trying out my clone since i just recently got it from the repair guy. I'm going to have to determine of I want a whole new machine just for FMQ, i guess. Thanks for the ideas!

LRM 01-03-2020 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 8346689)
I FMQ on a straight stitch only Juki TL 98QE I bought about 9 years ago. I have not had any problems with it. Never been in a shop for any reason. I just clean and oil it.

Good to know! Thanks!

bakermom 01-03-2020 04:29 PM

If you have the means to buy the Juki, go for it. I have the 2000, best purchase I ever made.

Patricia Drew 01-03-2020 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by LRM (Post 8347100)
I have been doing small things - and even some small quilts on my Bernina, and trying out my clone since i just recently got it from the repair guy. I'm going to have to determine of I want a whole new machine just for FMQ, i guess. Thanks for the ideas!

At one point, you'll probably want a machine just for FMQ !