Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   binding with ribbon on unwashed flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-ribbon-unwashed-flannel-t30896.html)

armaynes 12-04-2009 10:01 PM

Does anyone know if there's a way to bind an unwashed flannel quilt with satin ribbon? Do I have to wash my quilted, un-bound project BEFORE applying the binding? I'm fairly new to quilting and I don't wash any of my fabrics or batting before starting and it's worked fine. I just don't know if the satin ribbon would shrink at all, or if I can use it at all. Any one with answers? Thanks!

Moonpi 12-05-2009 03:08 AM

I don't know about the ribbon, but flannel shrinks like mad! I've never seen the (poly) satin shrink, but when the flannel does, it will pucker the binding.

needlehappy 12-05-2009 05:49 AM

I agree with Moonpi. Wash the quilt first. You will be dissapointed when the flannel shrinks and the binding doesn't.

DA Mayer 12-05-2009 05:54 AM

I made a baby one recently, washed the flannel and applied the silky blanket binding. That worked great. Hope this helps. The blanket was then washed by the mom before baby used it.

armaynes 12-05-2009 10:29 AM

Thanks Guys! Does anyone know of a reason I can't wash an unbound quilt? I would think it shouldn't fall apart as long as it's well quilted, right? And quilt it really close to the edges to hold it? I knew the flannel would shrink, but I wasn't sure about the ribbon. I appreciate the help so far!

Tiffany 12-05-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by armaynes
Thanks Guys! Does anyone know of a reason I can't wash an unbound quilt? I would think it shouldn't fall apart as long as it's well quilted, right? And quilt it really close to the edges to hold it? I knew the flannel would shrink, but I wasn't sure about the ribbon. I appreciate the help so far!

I have a wonderful friend who teaches nationally and she always washes her quilts and blocks them before putting on the binding. She says it helps keep it square. Personally, I've never tried it. I figure since I wash my fabric beforehand and I'm careful not to stretch the fabric when piecing I shouldn't need too, or at least I haven't yet. It works for her and she doesn't seem to have an issue with it unraveling or anything. I think I'd wash it on delicate though, just to make sure.

If you try it, let us know how it works and what you think of doing it that way.

amma 12-05-2009 01:45 PM

You can alwayse do a narrow zig zag stitch around the edges before washing. You may need to re-square up your quilt after washing if you don't want to block it while it is still damp

Knot Sew 12-05-2009 01:53 PM

I always use the same fabric thats in the quilt to make my binding...so no problem

littlehud 12-05-2009 07:22 PM

I would definitely wash it before binding. Flannel shrinks like mad. It's the only fabric I prewash.

MadQuilter 12-05-2009 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
I always use the same fabric thats in the quilt to make my binding...so no problem

Me too. I'm wondering if silk ribbon will be too slick to handle as binding.