Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Do You Finish the Back of Rugs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-finish-back-rugs-t309764.html)

aashley333 02-15-2020 05:49 AM

How Do You Finish the Back of Rugs

Now that I made my first jelly roll rug, I need a non-slip back. Joann's clerk suggested applying utility fabric used for the bottom of footed pajamas. Also, I was thinking it needs to be protected with Scotch Guard. All thoughts welcomed.

ckcowl 02-15-2020 08:46 AM

You can use non slip rug backing , it can usually be found in rug shops, Home Depot, Walmart, maybe joannes or hobby lobby. Many places. It looks like the rubber gridded shelf liner. There are a few different options on the market. Since your rug is washable I would probably go with one of the non slip pads that are placed under throw rugs.

Little Lulu 02-15-2020 10:18 AM

My First Rug

This is a great question. I am anxious to hear the responses. I wonder if anyone has used the Fibre-Lok non skid backing?
It seems awful to cut out those skid mats and place on the back of a beautiful hand made rug too. I definitely would use Scotch Guard.

sewingsuz 02-15-2020 04:34 PM

I use the kind that you do not put on the rug but you put is under the rug when in use.

QuiltE 02-15-2020 05:04 PM

There is some paint on stuff that you can buy in the USA.
Basically like the stuff on the bottom of kids sleepers etc.

Sorry I don't remember its name. When I wanted it a few years ago, I found it in the USA, but not able to get it here in Canada, I just gave up hope on it. From what I remember, it was sold in Michaels and Home Depot stateside as a regular store item. So best to ask them!

Good Luck!

Feather3 02-16-2020 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8361186)
There is some paint on stuff that you can buy in the USA.
Basically like the stuff on the bottom of kids sleepers etc.

Sorry I don't remember its name. When I wanted it a few years ago, I found it in the USA, but not able to get it here in Canada, I just gave up hope on it. From what I remember, it was sold in Michaels and Home Depot stateside as a regular store item. So best to ask them!

Good Luck!

I found it....it's called "Fiber-Lok Non Skid Backing". Not cheap, but has good ratings.

Little Lulu 02-16-2020 04:44 AM

I think you are speaking of Fibre-Lok. It is a non skid backing. I have never used it so I wonder if it is good. Does it hurt the fabric?

Karamarie 02-16-2020 04:51 AM

I recently made a jelly roll rug. I didn't use a jelly roll, just cut my own 2 1/2 strips. I really like it and would post a pix but I also am unable to post pictures from my IPad since the changes but love looking at all of yours.

Tartan 02-16-2020 08:03 AM

I think I would go with the rubbery shelf lining with the little holes. I would hand sew it all around the edges. I would want to be able to take off the rubbery stuff, flip it over and sew to the other side if the top side get nasty even after washing.