Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Deal or no deal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/deal-no-deal-t309887.html)

Mazo 02-23-2020 09:07 PM

Deal or no deal

I stumbled on an estate with about 1,000 fat quarters for about $300. All different colors patterns etc. There are also Anita Gooddesign available. What do you think?

Peckish 02-23-2020 09:18 PM

That's thirty cents a FQ, which is a great deal depending on the fabrics - quality, prints, etc.
Me, personally, I would probably pass on them. I have plenty of fabric and have actually been trying to downsize. However, it could be a great deal for someone else. I would definitely take a look at the Anita Gooddesigns. But that's just me.

Murphy224 02-24-2020 03:20 AM

I too would pass. When I first started quilting, bought lots of fat quarters, and now find that they really don't "match up" well when combined, take up space I don't have, and wish I had never bought them. I think at the time it seemed like a good idea that I could get a piece of fabric that I liked without buying the whole yard.....one of those "what was I really thinking" moments.
I too am on a self imposed fabric moratorium to use up what I have, so a 1000 fat quarters is a big ole no for me.
Have you thought about where and how you would store them? that would also be a big issue for me....just saying:)

tallchick 02-24-2020 04:12 AM

I say if your wanting to build a stash this is a great deal depending on the the condition and quality of the fabrics. If everything meets to your standards then I myself would jump at the opportunity. If you do please show us pics of your haul! I’m currently on a fabric diet and enjoy seeing what everyone else is adding to their collections.

junegerbracht 02-24-2020 04:21 AM

I would pass. When I first started quilting I bought fat quarters - most of them still unused. I prefer to buy yardage when I find a sale on something I really like. Although it seems like a bargain $300 is still a fair amount of money. However if you like scrappy quilts it might be for you.

sandy l 02-24-2020 04:28 AM

As much as I love fat qtrs, I think I would pass on them. Fabric may be old, and/or poor quality. And that is a lot of money to spend, and maybe be disappointed.

Onebyone 02-24-2020 04:42 AM

Most shops don't have a 1000 fat quarters. LOL . I bought a box of 100 different fat quarters from Keepsake's Quilting for $100 once. They were beautiful but hard to use unless I bought more fabric. If you do a lot of scrap quilts, hexies, or small projects then it will be the buy of the year if the fabric is good quality.

Tartan 02-24-2020 04:58 AM

If you want to build your stash, check out the quality. Also give them the sniff test, if they smell smoky or musty, I would pass.

SusieQOH 02-24-2020 05:19 AM

I don't know if it's a deal or not but I wouldn't want someone else's stash.

Railroadersbrat 02-24-2020 05:26 AM

I started quilting using fat quarters and after a very long time of not using what I had, I did a stash buster queen sized nine-patch quilt over the fall with them. Funny thing is, I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore fat quarters but then I saw a Waverly Inspirations batiks bundle that I fell in love with and well, you guessed it, I'm making a hexie quilt with them.

I would say yes to getting them, just make sure you inspect them first, old fabrics do start to break down even if they haven't been used. Also beware if you run into a fat quarter that you absolutely fall in love with, you run the risk of not finding that fabric again because it's been discontinued, I actually ran into that not too long ago.

Fat quarters are great though, if you learn how to cut them down for quilts, i.e, you can get 56 (I think) 2.5-inch squares off of one fat quarter, even if you were to use four 2.5-inch squares for a quilt block, that's still 14 quilt blocks and if you get proficient with them, you'll know exactly how many fat quarters to use for a queen size (roughly 45) or king sized quilt (roughly 55). They're serious space savers because you're not buying a lot of yardage that takes up more room and they seriously lend that scrappy quality to anything you work them into.

A thousand is a whole lot of fat quarters, but absolutely endless possibilities for creativity. Taking the 55 count for king-size - that's roughly 18 quilts, if you were to work specifically from the fat quarters....for $300. If you were to sell just one of your quilts from that stash, it'll pay for itself.