Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pincushion Filling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pincushion-filling-t310094.html)

Claire123 03-10-2020 10:01 PM

Pincushion Filling

For those of you who make your own pincushions could you share what you have been using for filling? Crushed walnut shells are often recommended, but I’ve heard they were bad for pins. Also recommended are poly and cotton stuffing or sand.
I’d really like to make some cute pincushions with scraps that I could keep pins in all the time.

quiltingcandy 03-10-2020 10:14 PM

I have not made any pincushions recently - but a wonderful lady here sent me a pincushion made of felted wool. It is fantastic and it keeps the needles and pins so nice and they glide easily. I have put crushed walnuts in the bottom for weight but you can put the wool in the top, I used the poly stuffing for the ones I made. Never thought to use cotton.

Iceblossom 03-11-2020 03:46 AM

My pincushion was made for me, it's huge because I use a lot of pins and is made of wool stuffed with raw wool. The wool has the natural lanolin and it good for the pins, especially in my humid part of the country. Not a cheap way to go, wool...

My portable pincushion in my sewing kit was also made, but not by/for me but was bought for me. It's a knitted/crocheted? cupcake filled with poly. What was really nice was the maker included a large metal washer in the bottom of the cupcake so it has a weight to it, otherwise any breeze would knock it over and roll it across the room.

Tartan 03-11-2020 04:13 AM

I have the pin cushion with thread catcher attached by my machine. It has sand in an inner bag and then inside the fabric for the thread catcher.

Karamarie 03-11-2020 04:27 AM

I've used rice.

Onebyone 03-11-2020 06:10 AM

. No poly fill, shells, rice, or sand for me anymore since I found the weighted poly beads. Excellent for pincushions.

BonnieJP 03-11-2020 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made some pincushions that look like cacti for my guild's autumn show. I used leftover quilt batting for the stuffing.

sewbizgirl 03-11-2020 06:19 AM

Hmmm... I bought a bag of crushed walnut shell pet litter because I heard it kept the pins sharp. It made a nice pin cushion but was very fine, so it kept filtering through the fabric, which was a little messy. I like the idea of a large washer in the bottom of a pin cushion!

SusieQOH 03-11-2020 06:31 AM

I love felted wool. I've had one for years, don't remember where I bought it but it's a good one.
I once bought emery but the one I chose was too fine and made a mess!

mopec 03-11-2020 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Claire123 (Post 8367851)
For those of you who make your own pincushions could you share what you have been using for filling? Crushed walnut shells are often recommended, but I’ve heard they were bad for pins. Also recommended are poly and cotton stuffing or sand.
I’d really like to make some cute pincushions with scraps that I could keep pins in all the time.

I use Emery Sand. Ordered through Amazon. I made a bag, filled with the emery sand and then inserted it into the cushion. Easy peasy and no mess. Love it.