Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If Your Fabrics Could Talk? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-your-fabrics-could-talk-t310683.html)

Rhonda K 04-22-2020 03:55 AM

If Your Fabrics Could Talk?

What would they say about you and your projects?

Mine would say that she tends to pick favorites, batiks, bright, and tropical colors over all others. Some of us early fabrics are like the last girl picked for the softball team. What was she thinking? We lay on the shelf in folded order waiting for a peek outside for a possible project.

Tell us what your fabrics will say about you?

Tartan 04-22-2020 04:16 AM

My “what was I thinking” are now masks and scrub caps. The rest are saying....use me!

Barb in Louisiana 04-22-2020 04:24 AM

Mine would say.... She loves us so much, she can't decide on a project. Truthfully, my stash is full of focus fabrics with very little blenders. I try to buy blenders but just can't manage to get to the cutting table with them....much less to the checkout counter. lol

juliasb 04-22-2020 04:40 AM

Mine would say, " the pressure, help the pressure is killing me. There is so much above and below me. If I scream loud enough maybe she would choose me? Here she comes... Please! Please choose me I'm not in here to tightly. She taking me out to use.. what to make mask??"

SusieQOH 04-22-2020 04:43 AM

Mine would say "She's a slob" lol

Doggramma 04-22-2020 06:01 AM

Mine would say why does she only use the newer fabrics piled up in the sewing area and hardly ever comes into the closet to choose us

MicheleC 04-22-2020 07:07 AM

Mine would be a resounding chorus of “please play with us!” Also, “if your organized us, you could see us better...”

Iceblossom 04-22-2020 07:10 AM

It does -- it says let me out! let me out!

I've seriously reduced the size of my stash over the last 10 years. Everything that's currently in it I wanted to keep or at least felt I could possibly conceivably use it within the next 5 years (not that I "only" have 5 years worth of stash).

Today one of my quilting group ladies is coming over to shop the stash. Or at least see what I've pulled for her as options as we meet out in the driveway. She's making a roman stripe donation and wants a consistent piece for the HST so needs a suitable piece about 2 yards long. Her first thought was solids so I pulled a few of the pieces that are large enough, and then a few "reads as solids" and now I'm going to hit her with a couple of "and now for something completely different" or what I call inspiration choices -- one of which I think she's going to take and another she probably won't use for this project but maybe for a different one.

We have a running joke because she really hates about half the fabric I love, and although she rejects it she starts thinking about it... and then a year or so later the conversation starts with "do you happen to have any of the fabric left".

If none of these are right, we'll both be able to figure out what we need to be looking for.

ekuw 04-22-2020 07:37 AM

Mine would say thank you for finally using us! The person who bought me originally loved me and had good intentions, but as the years went on realized they had more fabric than she could use. These fabrics were passed on to me and I intend to use them. As we all know quilting can be an expensive hobby and I am thankful that I was gifted so much beautiful fabric even though it is considerably older. Last night as I was working on a top with Thimbleberries fabric I was thinking to myself, I hope this does not look too dated when I finish. Also thinking so what! a handmade quilt is always a beautiful thing.

DJ 04-22-2020 07:47 AM

Mine does talk to me. They things they say:

"I want to be a (placemat, table topper, quilt, wall hanging, etc.)."
"No, don't use me for this project. I won't play nicely with your focus fabric, but thanks for thinking of me. See you later."
"Nice to see you again. Yes, I'm the perfect coordinating fabric for your project."
"I don't really like you much either. Perhaps you should put me up for adoption."
"I'm so glad you like me so much that you've used me in several projects. So sorry there isn't enough of me left for this one."
"Oh, what an honor to be picked for this greeting card for your loved one!"
"Oops, you're going to need more of me. Hope you can find it, since you've already cut all the pieces!"