Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Cast Iron Woes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cast-iron-woes-t310938.html)

SewingSenior 05-10-2020 04:01 PM

Cast Iron Woes

I'm looking for a new electric range and it seems the glass top ranges are the going thing these days. I only have one problem with getting a glass top and that is we do a lot of cooking in our cast iron skillets and I've read that the skillets should have smooth flat bottoms. However most of our skillets do not have smooth flat bottoms, they have a small maybe 1/8th inch rib on the bottom. I'd like to hear from anyone that has a glass top and still is able to cook with their cast iron skillets that have the little rib on the bottom.

pocoellie 05-10-2020 05:09 PM

Although the glass top ranges are all the "rage", there still are the traditional ranges made, so I would continue looking for one that you want. When we did our old home kitchen remodel, we went with a glass top range, and we absolutely hated it!

QuiltnNan 05-10-2020 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSenior (Post 8384476)
I'm looking for a new electric range and it seems the glass top ranges are the going thing these days. I only have one problem with getting a glass top and that is we do a lot of cooking in our cast iron skillets and I've read that the skillets should have smooth flat bottoms. However most of our skillets do not have smooth flat bottoms, they have a small maybe 1/8th inch rib on the bottom. I'd like to hear from anyone that has a glass top and still is able to cook with their cast iron skillets that have the little rib on the bottom.

I love y glass top... have had them in several of my different homes. The rib on the bottom of the cast iron doe snot seem to be a problem.

Jingle 05-10-2020 06:32 PM

I have never owned an electric cook stove. Only gas for for me, my flat bottom iron skillet and every pot I have works great.

quiltingcandy 05-10-2020 09:14 PM

My mother had a glass stove top and used her cast iron.

Murphy224 05-11-2020 12:49 AM

I have a glass stove top and use my cast iron. You just have to be extra careful and NOT slide the pan around. Always always lift it. I had had my glass stove top for over 15 years and have only one small scratch about an inch long in the main burner area. It is barely visible, not sure how it got there but the stove tops are pretty durable. For me, the ease of cleaning outweighs the extra care required.

ebeckee 05-11-2020 02:25 AM

Thanks for this information. We have a glass top electric stove and I would love to get a cast iron frying pan but I thought it was a no-no. Good news for me.

SewingSenior 05-11-2020 04:40 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. I love the idea of the glass top but didn't want to give up my cast iron. I feel much more at ease now that I know I don't have to.

GingerK 05-11-2020 04:58 AM

When we moved 3 years ago, I gave up my wonderful gas JennAir (stayed with the house when we sold) and 'inherited' a glass top. I don't know if all glass tops cycle on/off when heating, but this one did. I never did find that sweet spot where a soup or stew would continue to gently simmer, and my canning that first year was a nightmare. I was told later, that you are not supposed to use a canner on a glass top.

When we remodeled the kitchen the next year, I was absolutely thrill to see the backside of that glass top range, and return to gas. I don't even mind the extra cleaning!

jcrilley 05-11-2020 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 8384489)
Although the glass top ranges are all the "rage", there still are the traditional ranges made, so I would continue looking for one that you want. When we did our old home kitchen remodel, we went with a glass top range, and we absolutely hated it!

I'm with you. Bought one when we built our new home, tried to ruin it for years and finally just gave up and threw it out. I hated it too!!!!