Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help!! sewing tension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-sewing-tension-t311564.html)

GoSew 06-29-2020 05:57 AM

I need help!! sewing tension

Long time lurker here - and I've learned so much. Now I need !!

I have a Pfaff Expression 2048. Every time I do a test sew - my tension is off and I can pull the stitchs out easily. I have rethreaded too many times to count - step by step correctly. I've changed the needle, changed the bobbin, changed the thread - still not working. Also cleaned out any lint. That noise you hear somewhere in space is my frustration.

Any ideas why this is happening? What am I missing - or does my machine need repair.

juliasb 06-29-2020 06:10 AM

Have you tried adjusting the tension? Everything you have done so far is perfect and a great way to start. I know adjusting the tension can be scary. Start by examining what it looks like on the bottom when you try to sew. If there is a loopy mess it is usually the top tension. if the loops are on the top it could be the bottom tension. If your machine has been working up until now it may need a good cleaning check for heavy lint in your bobbin casing and other places that can collect lint. If these things don't help it could need a trip to be tuned up and a good service call.

GoSew 06-29-2020 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8397664)
Have you tried adjusting the tension? Everything you have done so far is perfect and a great way to start. I know adjusting the tension can be scary. Start by examining what it looks like on the bottom when you try to sew. If there is a loopy mess it is usually the top tension. if the loops are on the top it could be the bottom tension. If your machine has been working up until now it may need a good cleaning check for heavy lint in your bobbin casing and other places that can collect lint. If these things don't help it could need a trip to be tuned up and a good service call.

Thank you juliasb - maybe I havn't moved the dial enough. I'll try that. The bobbin casing looks clean but whose to know what might be hiding where I can't see!

QuiltE 06-29-2020 07:02 AM

ITA with JuliaSB .... You've identified the problem as tension, but have not dealt with it!

Tension can be scary, only because we have been given that mindset that we should fear adjust it! Your top/bottom threads should meet in the middle of what you are sewing. So? identify whether the top needs to go down to the middle, or the bottom up towards the top. That will tell you what you need to adjust. Then do it! :)

Go ahead ... you can do it ... and conquer that fear!!!!:)

bearisgray 06-29-2020 07:23 AM

Before starting to change the tensions, write down (or take a picture of) the settings you are starting with.

That way one has a starting point to refer to.

I don't know about setting/changing the tensions on newer machines, but on my older Pfaffs (1471 and 1473) - the technician told me to thread it on the "second thread" path to help with tension issues because the tension discs were worn on the "first thread" path.

pocoellie 06-29-2020 07:57 AM

When you're threading the needle, is the foot up? If not, the thread make not be between the tension discs.

Iceblossom 06-29-2020 08:05 AM

Some machines have safeguards built in where the foot has to be up or down (varies) in order to actually make/save some of the changes. So if you make an adjustment and nothing seems to change, try whatever you did with the opposite condition (foot up/down).

The other thing that can make a difference is the needle position, most machines will have some sort of marking on the hand dial that lets you know the correct position. It may be subtle like a screw head in the handle lining up with the center seam of the case, or more obvious with little lines and such.

The biggest help for me to remember is that where ever the problem shows, the fix is the opposite way. So if it is loops on the bottom, it is the top tension that is wrong, not the bobbin.

I've always had terrible luck adjusting bobbin casings... I usually have to end up getting a new one/paying for a service visit. Most of my issues are with top tensions.

RedGarnet222 06-29-2020 08:40 AM

The tension will not adjust unless you have the foot in the down position. But, if it worked before, perhaps you bent your needle and it needs to be changed.

The other thing that could be wrong is some build up of fuzz in the tension disks. Use some dental floss to run though it and see if it needed cleaning.

Barb in Louisiana 06-29-2020 11:42 AM

I looked up a manual for your machine, just so I could see what you were dealing with. Maybe there is something in here that you can help you find your problem.
http://www.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF...N.pdf?ext=.pdf

Edited to add: Did it ever sew properly? Is this a new problem? Did you change anything before the problem occurred?

sewingpup 06-29-2020 01:03 PM

can you describe in more detail what you are experiencing? When you say the "tension is off" and " I can easily pull out the stitches."....what does it look like? Is the top thread just laying on the top of the fabric with the bottom thread looping over it so you can see both the bobbin thread and the needle thread or is the top thread being pulled down to the bottom and the bobbin thread just laying on the bottom of the project? or are both the top thread and the bobbin thread just forming loosely on the top and the bottom of the fabric so when you take the piece off and tug on the seam it easily separates? if the bobbin thread comes to the top, it is either that the bobbin is too loose...this could be indicate that tension screw on the bobbin needs to be tightened slightly or that there is a piece of lint stuck under the bobbin spring. If it is the top thread that goes to the bottom , it could mean the top tension needs tightening, the thread is not seated properly in the tension disc or there is lint stuck in there, or you have not threaded it properly. Last time I had tension problems on my Viking, I really need to deep clean the bobbin area. If all this fails...maybe a trip to the tech is what is needed.