Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much of a "purist" are you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-purist-you-t311798.html)

bearisgray 07-17-2020 09:22 AM

How much of a "purist" are you?

There are some quilt books/instructors that say to "only use" all cotton fabric and all cotton thread.

All cotton batting is now available, but for a long time the "all-cotton" wadding/bating was very difficult to work with.

I generally do like to have my quilt tops to be all cotton - or all cotton/poly - or all whatever - along with the backs being mostly one type of fiber.

When I thought about it though, two of my first quilts had polyester batting -and they still holding up well - then I "discovered warm 'n' natural - thinking that it was "all cotton" - but it has a polyester scrim.

I have used mostly the older Dual Duty thread by Coats & Clark (the cotton covered polyester stuff)- partly because that is what my first quilting instructor recommended - partly because it was easily available - I did grow p with all-cotton thread - we used to look for the "mercerized" thread. I don't know why it was better than not mercerized - but Mom always used "mercerized"

I have been quite satisfied with the results using "meixed media."

- my current question/topic is: How much do you mix fibers in quilts that you make? (Remember to include the batting, thread, and embellishments.)

Or - how much do you try to keep your project "pure"?

mmunchkins 07-17-2020 09:32 AM

I like to keep it as uniform as possible: cotton fabric, cotton thread. I do use Warm and Natural, because I also thought it was 100% cotton, until I read the label.

tropit 07-17-2020 09:36 AM

I like the outsides of my quilts to be 100% cotton. The batting may be a different story. I haven't had any problems with the cotton battings and prefer to use those, but I like the ones that have a stabilizing scrim in them. The scrim is not made of cotton, so then the quilt is not technically 100% cotton. I'm also not opposed to using a non-cotton batting, but I prefer cotton, because it will shrink with the top and backing.

As for thread, I like Connecting Threads cotton thread. I bought a huge amount of it a long time ago, and I'm still using it. I haven't tried anything else in ages.

I don't really embellish my quilts except for a label, which I make out of a scraps of cotton quilting fabric and cotton embroidery thread.

I guess I'm a "cotton girl" :)

C

Iceblossom 07-17-2020 09:45 AM

I prefer to use all cotton material because it is easier to work with, but sometimes I want to use a blend because I want to use it.

I know it's hard for us after these last 30 years of the quilt police and quilt shops and being told only 100% cotton, but if you go back and look at the magazines and newspaper columns and such, 50-60 years ago there was a lot of praise for the beauty and shine and most importantly, the less ironing of the blends when they first came out as well as the colors.

I'll admit it, I've ironed 100% cotton sheets before but I don't know anyone younger than me that has!

Threads I've only gotten into in the last 10-20 years. I used Dual Duty happily for decades despite the quilt police telling me no. I still have quilts pieced and quilted from 30-40 years ago with it that are holding up just fine, the thread was never the problem (my lack of quilting and hard use/washing caused most of the wear). On the other hand, I have an entire box of mostly rotten cotton thread on wood spools -- which do you think I'm going to recommend using? Right now I'm using Aurifil as my top thread and am piecing with So-Fine as my bottom thread to see how it goes.

And batts? Well, I actually prefer a fluffier softer and lighter poly with less quilting than Warm and Natural with dense quilting almost all the time. Sometimes Warm and Natural is appropriate for my projects, but in general, it's not my favorite. But that's part of my style and the fun thing with quilting is we all get to have our own style.

rryder 07-17-2020 09:58 AM

I use whatever will do what I want it to do. For quilts that are going to be used I use materials and threads that are strong enough to stand up to being washed, etc. For art pieces, as far as I'm concerned, Anything Goes!

Rob

cjsews 07-17-2020 10:02 AM

I prefer cotton fabrics. The poly/cotton doesn’t have the “give” that cotton does. Requires more pinNing to keep the pieces lined up. But, I have use it on occasion. That’s how I know it is harder for me to control. For batting I found the Pellon 50/50. It is a bit lighter than W&N with a nice drape. I am not particular about thread. I do like the Connecting Threads for the large spools. I can do a whole quilt without running out

SherryW 07-17-2020 10:27 AM

I use cotton fabric most of the time but I never use cotton thread. I usually use machine embroidery thread because it doesn't break.

Tartan 07-17-2020 10:28 AM

I tend to put like fabrics together so they all wear at the same rate. For scrap quilts, I will use all my scraps except flannel. I use 80/20 batt and whatever thread I am in the mood for. So definitely not a purist.

MeadowMist 07-17-2020 10:30 AM

I use cotton only for the fabric. For thread I use “machine quilting thread.” I just looked on the label to see what it’s made of and it’s all cotton. I use W&N and always thought it was 100% cotton until I read this post, lol. I prefer W&N but will also use other cotton/polyester blends. I’m not fussy about the thread, though I don’t want to use anything real cheap. I remember being told back in home-ec to always user mercerized thread. Seems it had some kind of coating on it to make it stronger.

Rhonda K 07-17-2020 10:38 AM

I love your question! There are no quilt virgin projects in this sewing room.

All the fabrics are from the LQS or on-line orders and rarely from the big J store. There is a separate stash of home-dec fabrics keeping me company for curtains, pillows, etc. I don't mix the two fabrics though.

I piece with embroidery thread often and use it for bobbins too. Right now, I'm using up bobbins with embroidery thread to get some empties back in the bobbin box. Love piecing with pre-wound bobbins as there is so much thread on them. My other favorite is glide thread used for piecing, bobbins, and quilting. I don't like cotton threads as they are linty in my machines and seldom use them.

Happy to say that I've never had any quilt instructors with purist thoughts. LOL!