Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Greetings, new to using sewing machines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/greetings-new-using-sewing-machines-t311924.html)

GwensBlaze 07-26-2020 04:17 AM

Greetings, new to using sewing machines...

Greetings, I've never been part of a forum or discussion group. I'm a bit excited and a bit nervous. I am very new to using sewimg machines, (so new i have yet to use one, been a hand sewer for 25years) Im finally ready to learn, is there any tips or tricks y'all wish you would have had as a beginner.

cjsews 07-26-2020 04:28 AM

Welcome from Tennessee. The biggest tip is to learn where your 1/4 inch setting is on your machine. If you can adjust the speed on your machine, turn it down just a bit until you learn to control it. Happy quilting

juliasb 07-26-2020 04:35 AM

Welcome to the QB! This is a great place for beginners and all the way to professional sewers and quilters. We love to have new quilters and sewers. Have you purchased a sewing machine yet? For someone like yourself I would start with a simple machine to familiarize yourself with the basics before spending a larger amount of $$ on a big machine that you may or may not use. Walmart carries some basic machines if you want something new. For now I would stay away from thrift store models only because of your inexperience in knowing if something is not working right or wrong and not knowing what part is what part. As you learn your way around a sewing machine that would become a great option for someone looking for vintage machines (like me). Get with you machine some thread and fabric and a couple of other tools. Scissors, rotary cutter, self healing cutting mat, and an acrylic ruler. Becoming a quilter is easy enough as you can start with easy shapes and make a beautiful quilt.
I am excited for you!! Feel free to ask questions. People here are very helpful. Again welcome to the QB!

granky 07-26-2020 05:22 AM

Welcome from Southern Indiana. The main thing is....enjoy!

bearisgray 07-26-2020 05:23 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board.

This is probably one of the the safer sites on the internet!

Read/study the manual/instruction book that comes with your machine. Familiarize yourself with the parts.

Try whatever it is that is being talked about in the manual when you come to it.

Even if you never, ever use that feature/function again - you will know that it is available.

If the instructions in the book/manual are not making sense - go to YouTube for help. Sometimes it takes more than one pass at learning something new.

If you want to practice "driving" - unthread the machine and "sew" on lined paper.

Then get some scrap material (rethread the machine now - lol) - or worn out garments - different types of old clothing - denim - socks - underwear - and just play with it. Figure on using a couple of spools of thread just for practicing/playing around.

Move the levers, push the buttons, touch the screen - see what it can do.

Tartan 07-26-2020 07:02 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Read your manual and get familiar with all your machine features. Put in some scrap fabric and try out a few things.🧵

goldsberry921 07-26-2020 10:54 AM

Welcome to the forum. A vast wealth of information. Fantastic supportive group of people. So inspirational!

Welcome from Texas!

QuiltnNan 07-26-2020 04:54 PM

Welcome to the Quilting Board and happy quilting :)

jmoore 07-27-2020 02:57 AM

Welcome to the QB, you’re gonna love it here. There are many helpful and talented quilters on this board, I pop in almost daily for inspiration along with tips and tricks that are shared.

My first quilt was a simple pattern as to not get overwhelmed and like CJ added, get to know your 1/4” confidently and enjoy the journey.

Lori B. 07-27-2020 03:37 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)