Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big Stitch Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-stitch-quilting-t312207.html)

QuiltinGranny2 08-21-2020 05:21 AM

Big Stitch Quilting

I know most of you use your sewing machine or LA, but has anyone done the big stitch and how do you like it? I'm a hand piecer and hand quilter. Just finished my first big stitch quilt and I really like it. It's easy, fast and when using a colored thread, it really adds dimension of the quilt. I'm hooked!

juliasb 08-21-2020 05:28 AM

My, my, I haven't thought of Big Stitching in so many years I know I did a couple more that 20 years ago. I does make the quilting go much faster and it gives a nice finish to a quilt. This technique does make a quilt look so very different. I so want to see your quilt. I left it behind for the smaller stitching on my DSM I want a different look even when hand sewing. Great reminder.

Iceblossom 08-21-2020 05:36 AM

One of the ladies in my Tuesday group does beautiful sashiko work, which is a traditional big stitch variation. She's convinced me that if I ever make the modern quilt I want to do that I can use those techniques along with lap quilting to get the end result I want. Well, maybe if she helps me :)

Doggramma 08-21-2020 06:02 AM

I love big stitching. I haven’t done much of it though except on smaller pieces.

oksewglad 08-21-2020 06:06 AM

I first did big stitching on a baby quilt for my nephew...who is now 30+. Problem is, my hands don't do well with the quilting stitch anymore. I like the look it gives to some quilts, too.

QuiltinGranny2 08-21-2020 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=Iceblossom;8411758]One of the ladies in my Tuesday group does beautiful sashiko work, which is a traditional big stitch variation. She's convinced me that if I ever make the modern quilt I want to do that I can use those techniques along with lap quilting to get the end result I want. Well, maybe if she helps me :)[/QUOTyE]

At 80 y/o I'm hooked on big stitch quilting. Lots of tutorials on the net. It's easy to do while sitting on the sofa watching TV. Easy on your hands and back. Give it a try.

Jordan 08-21-2020 06:26 AM

I have not done it myself but have seen it done on some quilts and really like it. What thread are you using?

QuiltinGranny2 08-21-2020 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8411772)
I have not done it myself but have seen it done on some quilts and really like it. What thread are you using?

I use Perle Cotton #8. When I did my first big stitch, I bought it at JoAnn's and just bought the white to see if I would like doing it. Now I have a package of 12 different shades I bought on Amazon (my favorite place to shop). I bought the Utility Quilting needles from Amazon also. Hope this helps.

NJ Quilter 08-21-2020 07:37 AM

I've done it as well and enjoy it. Does make the quilting go much more quickly! I did it on a baby quilt and liked the outcome. I'm not sure it's for every quilt but it certainly has it's place in life.

QuiltinGranny2 08-21-2020 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 8411790)
I've done it as well and enjoy it. Does make the quilting go much more quickly! I did it on a baby quilt and liked the outcome. I'm not sure it's for every quilt but it certainly has it's place in life.

You're so right about that. I tend to do the scrappy quilts, 9 patch, Amish churn dash easy ones like that and the big stitch works well with them.