Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'm blocked! ;) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/im-blocked-%3B-t312210.html)

MarcieStone 08-22-2020 05:01 AM

I'm blocked! ;)

What do you do when you have the fabric but can't decide on a quilt pattern? I bought several pinks and greens from the Rue 1800 collection (3 Sisters by Moda), an ivory and soft pink dot for a background, and their gorgeous, tone on tone pink floral for the backing. It's for a baby quilt and I want a lot of the background color in the pattern. How do you decide?

Quilt30 08-22-2020 05:09 AM

You keep the fabric in sight and wait for inspiration.

Sailorwoman 08-22-2020 05:51 AM

If you have a specific baby in mind, think of what the parents' tastes are. Also, what patterns do you like to do - fpp, applique, asymmetrical, on-point? You could also check out pinterest to get some ideas. Moda Fabric website has free patterns that might inspire you.

juliasb 08-22-2020 06:11 AM

This is a tough one for sure. I have hit this road block on many occasions. I have taken a small piece of the fabrics with me going out to the LQS or JAF. I thumb through so many quilting magazines that I could go blind from looking and I use our site at https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html for other block inspirations. I love to thumb through the different blocks. Bamm! that is where I usually find just the right block and the rest just seems to flow. When it hits me there is no stopping me. The last such inspiration for me was the Depression block and it made a beautiful baby quilt. It will come to you. When it does you will sew night and day to finish this special baby quilt.

MarcieStone 08-22-2020 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman (Post 8411931)
If you have a specific baby in mind, think of what the parents' tastes are. Also, what patterns do you like to do - fpp, applique, asymmetrical, on-point? You could also check out pinterest to get some ideas. Moda Fabric website has free patterns that might inspire you.

Pinterest? That's funny! I've been scouring Pinterest for months...there are millions of quilt ideas and maybe that's my problem? I've been making quilts for many years (not a lot of them, only for family and friend's babies), and now that I've discovered Pinterest, I'm overwhelmed! You have hit on some of my issues, though...I cannot do random or asymmetrical so a pattern must be balanced to appeal to me and I prefer linear patterns. I have a wallpaper sample from the baby's room so that's where the color inspiration came from and her mom suggested vintage florals/pastels...I may have strayed a bit, colorwise, so that's why I want lots of the ivory background color to keep it soft. Thanks for your suggestions!

MarcieStone 08-22-2020 06:17 AM

I'm in Howell, Michigan! Thanks for posting...when I do figure it out, I will definitely be sewing day and night...she's over a month old already! Covid put the brakes on fabric shopping!

tropit 08-22-2020 06:31 AM

I get online and start looking through images. Something usually inspires me.

~ C

sewingpup 08-22-2020 06:48 AM

ummm…..I am thinking a simple traditional block quilt would look great. even a simple half square triangle block stitched together in rows where one of your focus fabrics is paired with the background fabric in each block. Would be simple...but cute!

Iceblossom 08-22-2020 07:14 AM

Hiya Marcie, I'm not from Michigan but before he moved out here to Seattle to be with me, Hubby grew up in the Grand Rapids area. It's funny that for the last couple of years one of the on-line shops I go to is the small Michigan chain of Fields Fabrics.

If I'm understanding modern baby care, "they" don't want anything in the crib under age one, wrap the baby in a sleeper and call it good so you do have a little bit of grace time for your project.

I do drape my fabric in my living spaces until it speaks to me... to be stationary in my house means you eventual get covered with fabric just like moss in a rain forest.

I can understand getting overwhelmed, you might try doing a search on "3 yard quilt patterns" (or 5), and see if anything like that speaks to you. We can help you size it for baby if you find something you like.

NJ Quilter 08-22-2020 07:23 AM

This is why I normally only buy for projects vs having a 'stash'. I would have zero clue as to how to go from fabric to quilt pattern but I can easily go from pattern to fabric, lol. Plus I have no room to store anything.