Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   MORE wool pressing mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-wool-pressing-mats-t312282.html)

Fizzle 08-28-2020 06:16 AM

MORE wool pressing mats

I did do a search looking for this but could not find answers.

I have a small mat and i have picked it up to discover dampness underneath.
My sis and I just got bigger mats and i wonder what you all do regarding the care?
If it is used on your Martelli table will it warp it?
I have those 6” plastic folding tables. Would it warp that?

I have learned that after use you should move it, stand it up maybe, so that it can breath and air dry?
So attaching it to a board or wood TV tray would probably not be a good idea?

If anyone has any helpful info it would be appreciated.

Thank you all.

QuiltE 08-28-2020 07:35 AM

Dampness underneath doesn't sound good and what it could mean over time.

Anything I say here has no experiential validation, as I have never used them.
My thoughts went immediately to mould/mildew and buggyboos!
Nasty Nasty stuff it could mean.

As for in-between uses, I would wonder if standing it on end, could warp the fibres and surface, and that you might inadvertently not have a smooth surface for ironing on. Rather a rippled mess. My thought would be to set it on a mesh cookie cooling rack to let it cool and dry.

But like I said ... my thoughts may be so off here.
So listen to those who have experience.

But you have given me reasons to think a bit more about this as to whether it is something I would get in the future. Or not!

mkc 08-28-2020 07:50 AM

Wool is porous, so if you are using steam or spritzing the fabric with water or starch it will travel through a wool mat. I have some wool mats that are trivets and they hold moisture for days if dripped on. I do leave them on a clothing drying rack to dry out.

If you use steam or water mist or starch I would not leave a wool mat on top of a painted, wood, or other surface or material that could be damaged by moisture.

I would find some way for there to be good air circulation around all sides of a wool mat when not in use.

Kitsie 08-28-2020 07:56 AM

I use a plain old folded cloth to "mist" (not spray) my fabric pieces with my home-made best press next to my mat. Then put the piece on the mat and press. Never had dampness on the mat.

Onebyone 08-28-2020 08:19 AM

All the wool mats I have bought have instructions to use a heat/water proof protection underneath it. The mats let heat and steam go straight through. It will damage any surface that can't take the heat and dampness. I use a teflon oven liner under mine.

misseva 08-28-2020 11:58 AM

I use mine on top of my DIY ironing table made out of a TV tray that sits beside my sewing machine or sometimes I place it on my DIY ironing board made of plywood.

quiltingshorttimer 08-28-2020 05:02 PM

the moisture if from steam iron use. And yes you need to be using a heat proof surface underneath. The wool holds heat very well, but is not heatproof or moisture proof. I have a full wool cover on my ironing board. I no longer use steam except on yardage, so avoid shrinkage and distortion.

mindless 08-28-2020 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8413587)
All the wool mats I have bought have instructions to use a heat/water proof protection underneath it. The mats let heat and steam go straight through. It will damage any surface that can't take the heat and dampness. I use a teflon oven liner under mine.

Yes
I use an oven liner too and a towel under mine. Then air dry when finished with it for the day.

mojo11 08-29-2020 05:15 AM

What a great idea QuiltE. I would never have thought about a cookie rack. That would let air circulate under the mat. Thanks for the idea.

GingerK 08-29-2020 05:20 AM

Considering that the surface frame of an ironing board is perforated, it makes sense to have that type of surface under the wool mat too. QuiltE, I have also been contemplating the usefulness/expense of a wool pressing mat. I think I will continue to contemplate instead of buying.