Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Speed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-speed-t312344.html)

Cattitude 09-03-2020 10:33 AM

Machine Speed

Just curious how many use their machines at anywhere near the top speed. I have been sewing for over 40 years but find the top speeds are too fast for me. I use an anti vibration mat but it still shakes my table. I stop frequently to remove pins and slow down when crossing seams for matching and it seems silly to race for a few inches just to slow down or stop over and over. Even when sewing on borders or sewing curtains I don’t use top speeds.

Am I in the minority on this one or do you feel the same way?

MicheleC 09-03-2020 10:51 AM

The only time I turn my machine to high speed is to spin a bobbin. Sometimes I forget to slide the bar back and it will scare me a bit when I start sewing again! I don’t use top speeds because I don’t feel I have as much control but sometimes I wish I could. I have so many quilts that I want to make that it would be nice to get to them faster but I don’t want to sacrifice accuracy.

Jordan 09-03-2020 11:26 AM

I never use the high speed on my machine. I am a slow and steady person and I feel I get better even seams that way

Peckish 09-03-2020 11:39 AM

I use the higher speeds when I'm sewing long seams like borders. If I need to pin, I use a dot of glue and go full steam ahead.

You will find that if you move your machine to the end of the table, so it sits directly on top of a table leg, it will lessen the vibration. If you're using something lightweight, like a card table, you'll get vibration no matter what. But if your table is solid and has good support underneath, such as a beam connecting the legs under the table's surface, it won't vibrate at all.

leaha 09-03-2020 11:46 AM

I sew very slowly, that is why my mid arm just scared me to death, finally gave it away. Had it for 4 years and never used it, such a waste so gave it to some one who would use it.

Watson 09-03-2020 11:55 AM

I never go over 1/2 speed and then only on long seams, like sewing strips together.

On my mid arm, I sew at 13% of what my machine can do. If I ever went 100% I think it would chew me up.

Watson

Iceblossom 09-03-2020 12:14 PM

I can start zipping together pretty fast but nowhere near top speed. I'm really variable and like the control of a foot pedal as opposed to pre-determined on/off buttons.

osewme 09-03-2020 12:21 PM

My top speed on my machine doesn't seem to be all that fast compared to what I've seen in youtube tutorials, etc. I generally sew at about 1/2 or 3/4 speed. I'm finding the slower I go the better I sew.

rryder 09-03-2020 12:36 PM

I only use the top speed to wind bobbins. For piecing I usually sew at about 1/2 speed- my seams are more accurate that way.

When FMQ I go faster for bigger areas and slower when doing dense fills. Same with ruler work. I usually have my Sweet Sixteen set somewhere between 25% and 60% of its top speed.
Rob

Rhonda K 09-03-2020 01:40 PM

It depends on the item being sewn. There is a rhythm with stitching and if I sew too slow or fast I mess up. Generally, my machine is at 3/4 speed. Bulky seams like binding are stitched slower.

I have a pivot function so can lift up with the foot pedal and set it to stop with either needle down/up. I like needle down so I can pivot or hold the fabric in place.

The embroidery machine is set for top speed as the machine is made for it.