Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tolerance? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tolerance-t312593.html)

bearisgray 09-25-2020 07:30 AM

Tolerance?

For some specifications, there is a plus-minus allowed for the size of a part.

When you are making (or trying to make) - for example - a 12.5 inch unfinished block - how much larger or smaller than the expected/targeted/hoped for size are you willing to deal with?

How much fudging/easing/stretching are you willing to do when assembling blocks into a quilt top?

Because I prefer not fighting with my blocks, I've learned that it is easier - in the long run - to have them all approximately the same size. They go together so much easier then.

For me - 12-3/8 to 12-5/8 inches would be a tolerable size range for a 12-1/2 inch (unfinished size) block.

I have also learned - that the smaller the block - such as the Dear Jane ones (Jane A. Blakely Stickle quilt) - the less wiggle room.

Cattitude 09-25-2020 08:42 AM

If I am using sashing I don’t worry too much up to 1/8. If the block is very basic with minimal seams to line up (such as a 12” block with seams meeting at 4” increments), I don’t mind a bit of easing.

if the block is complicated with many small pieces and multiple seams to align I try to be perfect and will keep ripping until it is. Fortunately I don’t make a lot of complicated blocks.

i do notice the words “that will do” coming out of my mouth from time to time when I am making the 22nd block out of 25. That doesn’t happen on 5 out of 25. In other words the longer I work on a project the less of a perfectionist I become. I move onto the ‘let’s just get this over with’ stage!

joe'smom 09-25-2020 09:45 AM

What usually happens for me is an uneven edge, with the block shearing off at the corners. This happens even when I have meticulously checked the size of all of the units and sub-units. I can cope with a generous 1/8 in. seam allowance.

tropit 09-25-2020 10:32 AM

Funny...I've been thinking of that word a lot lately. "Patience" and "tolerance," go hand in hand, but they mean different things in the sewing world.

I think that my quilting tolerance has become smaller over the years, as I've become a better quilter. Still, I'm far from perfect, so for making blocks, I would say that they should be within 1/4" to 1/8" of each other. I don't like to stretch seams too much and so, I find myself re-doing seams, instead of stretching, in order to make things go together better. Also, I'd rather have all blocks off by an 1/8" and create a slightly, small quilt, than to try the almost, impossible task of making them the correct size.

sewbizgirl 09-25-2020 10:47 AM

I'm too much of a perfectionist. If a block is supposed to come out at 12.5", I will alter seams in it until it does.

eparys 09-25-2020 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8420357)
.......For me - 12-3/8 to 12-5/8 inches would be a tolerable size range for a 12-1/2 inch (unfinished size) block.

I would find that range acceptable for me for a 12 1/2 inch unfinished size. I look at the "wiggle room" in terms of percent of the whole block. That 1/4 inch range which you gave is an error of only 2% of the size. Also if you assume that the range is tolerable, you more than likely have a few at the larger size and a few at the smaller size and that amount can be eased in.

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8420357)
.......I have also learned - that the smaller the block - such as the Dear Jane ones (Jane A. Blakely Stickle quilt) - the less wiggle room.

For my blocks 6" or less, they need to be spot on. In a 6" block, 1/4" wiggle room is a 4.5% error and for a 4" block it is a 6.25% error. I have been known to rip apart small blocks to get them perfect.

If I am using sashing - I use the same thought process. A 1/8" variance on a 3" sashing is not that noticeable imho but a 1/8" variation on a 1" sashing ?? - I can pick it out a mile away!! lol

Tartan 09-25-2020 12:53 PM

I can accept a 1/4 inch difference because I can ease that in.

bearisgray 09-25-2020 01:33 PM

But - I am not a happy camper when a 12-3/8 inch block is next to a 12-5/8 inch block.

juliasb 09-25-2020 03:20 PM

On my own blocks I will give about about 1/16 of an inch if the block is to small. Of course I love it if it si a bit larger so I can square it up with a hair to trim off. On blocks I make for an exchange they have to be as close as possible to 12.5.

Onebyone 09-25-2020 04:14 PM

If I have at least 1/4" away from any points I'm happy. I'll deal with the other stuff as I go.