Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best LED color temperature for sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-led-color-temperature-sewing-t312670.html)

hajonnes 10-02-2020 03:17 AM

best LED color temperature for sewing?

Hi,
I'm searching forums for experience in led sewing lamps since I will be updating mine.

I have a classic B15D (bayonet) socket (the original), on my old singer 201k.

Led lamps comes in a variety of color temperatures and what I have read is that some thinks sewing with led really is good.
But nowhere is a post on which color temperature to choose.

What is your opinion?
Also if you have a specific lamp to recommend I'm all ears.

:)

BonnieJP 10-02-2020 04:22 AM

I prefer a "white" or "warm" LED in my Singer201K. I don't care for a "cool" bulb that seems more like florescent lighting and looks kind of blue to my eyes.

petthefabric 10-02-2020 05:01 AM

I like the cool because I think it's more true to color. So there you have 2 opposing opinions, each valid.

juliasb 10-02-2020 06:12 AM

First of all welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. I am so glad you jumped right in and joined us. There is a wealth of information to be shared here and I am hopeful you will be part of this community. As far as LED goes I prefer the cool because I too think I get a much more accurate coloring when stitching. I also find it easier on my eyes. So much of this is personal choice or what is available for your machine. Again welcome to the QB.

Onebyone 10-02-2020 07:05 AM

I bought a LED bulb for my old Singer, it didn't matter then what type of light as it was the only bulb made for it then. Whatever I have it's wonderful.

Cattitude 10-02-2020 08:32 AM

Not sure on availability for that base but I would recommend something in the 3500k range. 3000 range is too warm for my liking and 4000 range way too cool. Ultimately it is personal preference but I can tell you my lighting design clients will specify 3500k 95% of the time.

mkc 10-02-2020 09:21 AM

It's not a simple question of color temperature. You also want a high CRI (color rendering index). This will be stated on the package if it's a decent one (90+ CRI). If the package doesn't state it, you can assume it's close to 80 which will cause colors to be "off".

tallchick 10-02-2020 10:20 AM

I say what ever works best for you is what is the best! I really find lighting such a personal choice, for my living areas I prefer a warmer light as it feels cozy and warm. For my sewing studio I have daylight as bright as I can get it lighting so I don’t become as fatigued and it reduces the cast of shadows when I’m cutting. The first thing everyone says about my studio is Wow, it’s bright down here!😎

Tartan 10-02-2020 10:27 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. On YouTube, I saw Pat Sloan talk about a LED light neck unit. It allows you to point both ends of the flexible light at your work surface and had coo/warm settings and high/low settings. It looked interesting and could move from machine to hand sewing easily since you wear it.

Peckish 10-02-2020 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8422053)
for my living areas I prefer a warmer light as it feels cozy and warm. For my sewing studio I have daylight as bright as I can get it

I agree with tallchick; I prefer soft, warm (incandescent-like) for my living and dining spaces, and bright daylight for my sewing area. I like to work with light that shows the true color of the fabrics I'm working with.