Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-sewing-machine-t312740.html)

MaryIsabel 10-09-2020 11:23 AM

New sewing machine

I am looking for a new sewing machine and need feedback. I have a Janone and a Pfaff embroidery/sewing. Mostly I use it for quilting but I do other things too. There are so many on the market I need help.
thanks so much,
Mary

Sheri.a 10-09-2020 11:27 AM

I have been very happy with Janome and they have a wide range of machines to choose from. One reason I really like them is that there are a few local (within an hour) dealerships available to me -- which is number one on criteria when I purchase a machine. Have fun and happy quilting.

MaryIsabel 10-09-2020 11:30 AM

Thanks. Servicing is a problem where I live so need to find something tough, so to speak. I also like my Janome.

patricej 10-10-2020 03:36 AM

you haven't said why you want another machine.
will it replace one of those you already have?
or will it add features to your collection your current machines don't include?

most important ... what is your budget?

p.s. - i am a big fan of janome.

mkc 10-10-2020 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8423894)
you haven't said why you want another machine.

Patrice is spot-on. Asking "what machine should I get" is akin to asking "what car should I buy" or "what town should I move to" without providing any detail. It's impossible to answer a question like that with a useful response without having adequate detail, and even then, it is a very personal decision.

Jordan 10-10-2020 07:19 AM

I bought a used Janome 6600 MC and have had it for about 10 years and love it. I would suggest you try out any machine you are considering buying and look at the features that you want on the machine. Good luck to you

bearisgray 10-10-2020 07:47 AM

"Why do you want another machine?" was also one of my questions.

There is nothing wrong with owning several machines - many of us do have "a few" -

"Just because" is probably a good enough reason - but is there some feature that you want that your current machines do not have?

Battle Axe 10-10-2020 08:06 AM

I would ask: What do you want the machine to do? Sew a straight seam, embroider? Do you want needle up option? Feed dogs down option?

I ended up with a Bernina 1020, an older (very old now) mechanical, non-computerized, Swiss made. This works for me. And it "sews sick". If things are not just such as the humidity too high, then that Bernina will still sew a good stitch. The other machines I had would have a total fit if the thread had unraveled at all due to the humidity. They don't make these anymore and all you can hope for is a good one that has not been in a flood or a fire. Some schools had them.

I tried a computerized Bernina and gave up and sold it. .

MaryIsabel 10-12-2020 09:56 AM

I have been looking at the computerized Bernina so would be interested in why you didn’t like it. It’s an expensive machine but if it doesn’t work doesn’t matter what it casts.

MaryIsabel 10-12-2020 10:01 AM

Mostly looking for feedback, what others are using and like. What other people are using is usually a good indicator of a machine that’s worth looking at seriously.