Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view' (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-quilt-panel-without-ruining-view-t312775.html)

Lee in Richmond 10-13-2020 03:24 AM

How to quilt a panel without ruining 'the view'

So, I buy one of the new digitally-printed panels, maybe a winter view of stream and trees. I add surrounding details or just simple borders, then need to quilt it. It does not lend itself to outlining the elements of the 'picture', and it feels like a grid quilting will push the image back. This is intended to be a wall hanging. What else can I do to quilt it?

aashley333 10-13-2020 04:17 AM

Panel wall hanging

This is the link to a recent project. I used large-grid crosshatch to minimize interruption with panel image.

toverly 10-13-2020 04:26 AM

I would probably go with clear thread in a wind/wave pattern.

Lee in Richmond 10-13-2020 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8424598)
I would probably go with clear thread in a wind/wave pattern.

Interesting idea! The only other thing I have thought of is to tack it. I do not have a 'tack stitch' on my regular machine, but can fake it I guess. But I doubt clear thread would do well as a tack as regular thread would.

sewingpup 10-13-2020 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond (Post 8424606)
Interesting idea! The only other thing I have thought of is to tack it. I do not have a 'tack stitch' on my regular machine, but can fake it I guess. But I doubt clear thread would do well as a tack as regular thread would.

I like regular thread better than clear thread because the clear seems to have a bit of shine to it and a thin thread that matches to the background seems to blend in better....when I work on panel type things I will sometimes just meander with a very fine thread...while doing outlining and thread painting would make it look better, the meander seems to mostly disappear while holding the quilt together...often I will use a "dusty" color that blends in....like a dusty green, or a dusty grey...or a dusty faded rose....

Lee in Richmond 10-13-2020 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8424628)
I like regular thread better than clear thread because the clear seems to have a bit of shine to it and a thin thread that matches to the background seems to blend in better....when I work on panel type things I will sometimes just meander with a very fine thread...while doing outlining and thread painting would make it look better, the meander seems to mostly disappear while holding the quilt together...often I will use a "dusty" color that blends in....like a dusty green, or a dusty grey...or a dusty faded rose....

That sounds interesting, too. If I use a good batting I won't need to do much quilting. Maybe I can meander [with purpose] and it will just look like part of the scene. I have little experience with wall hangings, but assume I will need something like Warm 'n Natural to give it heft to hang right. Is your 'very fine' thread larger number than 50w?