Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Borders Needed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/borders-needed-t313269.html)

Watson 11-27-2020 10:35 AM

Borders Needed?

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished (or thought I had finished) this top. I now see there is a mistake so I'll have to take that apart and fix the mistake.
I'm now waffling on whether or not it needs a border. I don't think I have ever done a quilt with no border before.

The size is OK, as it is just to hang over the bannister of our upstairs staircase, but the original plan was a 1" border of the background grey grunge fabric, then a thin border of the strings like is in each block (1 1/2"), then a wider border of the grunge, maybe 2", then another thin border of the strings and another thin border of the grey before binding. So, that would make about a 7" border, total.

Thoughts? Other ideas? No border needed?

Watson

Railroadersbrat 11-27-2020 10:43 AM

First off, that's just gorgeous, great job!

Considering how many colors are in it, I would leave it as is a birth it or put a small border of one color and call it good. I would be afraid that putting on a border like what you're thinking might make the quilt just too busy. The stars of that quilt are the blocks - I say let them shine through.

MicheleC 11-27-2020 10:46 AM

Your quilt top is beautiful! At least the mistake is on the edge instead of the middle.

I think your border plans will look lovely. Today’s tutorial on MSQC has a solid/pieced/solid/print border combination that looks awesome.

The top would also look great without borders but I’m a fan of quilts having a frame. I suppose it just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Rhonda K 11-27-2020 10:52 AM

Love the colors in your quilt.

I vote for your borders as detailed. It will end the quilt block design. It looks like the blocks want to run right off the quilt edge.

ckcowl 11-27-2020 11:06 AM

Very cool quilt! I would probably add borders just to finish it off, at least on left side and bottom- it just looks - not quite finished. The top and right looks finished. All the way around will probably work-before committing to 7” all around I would fold my chosen fabrics in the sizes stated and lay them out around it- audition first to decide if you really want to do that much more.
what ever you choose it is a really great quilt!

juliasb 11-27-2020 11:28 AM

I love this quilt it is so pretty. I am torn between a border and just a nice deep color for the binding. It needs just a litte something to set up the quilt. Not much just a little to make it pop!

Tartan 11-27-2020 11:38 AM

Cute top! I think I might add a narrow white border and then a piano key border with all the multi coloured scraps strips.

Barb in Louisiana 11-27-2020 12:28 PM

I love the quilt and the colors and the over all bright, airy, light look. It looks so very modern. So many modern quilts just don't need the borders we traditionally put on most of our quilts. So having said that....When I can't decide on borders, I lay the fabric out on one side as I think I want it and take a picture. Then I look at the picture. Lots of time I am surprised at the changes in the look of the quilt. I don't cut any fabric until I am absolutely sure about what I want to do. What you have described, seems to be very busy. I'd want to see a picture before I make any real comment.

Edited to add: Looking at the quilt again, I think I would add a white border on the other two sides to float all the darker pieces on the edge and then whatever, if any, borders you want to add.

GingerK 11-27-2020 12:36 PM

If you like the size, why not add a grey border on the left and on the bottom--just for design continuity. That is a beautiful top and I just might have to steal the design. Goodness knows I have strings!!

QuiltE 11-27-2020 12:44 PM

Great scrappy design. One of your own?

Being that you said size is not the issue, I am with you on borderless and just add a binding. I would audition something of a strong or jewel toned colour that will look well with the quilt. Being that you know it's destiny, perhaps that colour would be one that coordinates with the setting. Although, with the multi-colours in the quilt, I wouldn't worry about the decor coordination!!

Perhaps what you might want to change the width of binding from the traditional. A little wider, may help you feel that you have a bit more of a frame. Yet, a nicely done narrower than normal can be quite effective on a quilt like this, and not overpower the glory of the quilt itself. My own instinct is the narrow strip around!!!

The key ... you already know, Watson ........... audition! audition!! audition!!!

As always, keep up the great work!!!