Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Snow bird help: what to bring? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/snow-bird-help-what-bring-t313328.html)

mjpEncinitas 12-01-2020 06:40 AM

Snow bird help: what to bring?

It looks like I’ll be spending 6 months in a cold state to help a relative next year. Of course I hope this will give me lots of time to sew. I’m willing to ship some of the stuff there. I know I have to leave my sweet 16 quilting machine home so I thought I’d concentrate on small projects and piecing. Here’s my list. What else should I bring?
sewing machine, needles, feet
large cutting mat and cutter
scissors
pins
marking tools
rulers.

how do you decide what fabric to bring? How much thread?

have you ever shipped a sewing machine?

Anything you really missed at your vacation place?

CanoePam 12-01-2020 06:51 AM

Are you only piecing or do you intend on quilting some small items while you are there? I live in a motorhome in Arizona and California during the winter. I bring my sewing machine, cutting board, cutters, a pressing surface, my mid-sized iron for pressing yardage, my Sew Fast mini iron and wool pressing mat, and Best Press or Magic Sizing. I also bring a basic sewing kit with scissors, snips, pins, clips, marking supplies, seam gauge, machine cleaning supplies, needles, and the like. Since we have limited space, I generally cut out some projects before I go, but you may not need to. As for thread, I only use cones of So Fine in beige or gray for piecing, so those go with me. For quilting, I bring 6-8 spools of variegated thread, just in case. I seldom use it over the 3-4 months we are gone, but I have a few times. Carrying these things isn’t an issue if you are driving, and I can’t imagine trying to move everything you will need for 6 months (not just sewing supplies) on a plane, I guess you could just pack everything well and ship it. Machines ship very well in their original boxes, but a packing place can pack your machine safely.

mjpEncinitas 12-01-2020 06:58 AM

Thanks canoe. I forgot about the iron!

Iceblossom 12-01-2020 07:13 AM

I have an actual sewing kit that is both my main set of stuff I use as well as what I take to my regular work group or classes. I also have drawers full of things that I take in and out of the kit as needed for the projects I have going on. Sadly, my Minions carrying case is loosing its usefulness and I'm switching over to a clear plastic toolbox shaped kit with nice secure hinges and latches.

I'm also a believer in slate blue/gray thread and camel along with white and black as being good enough for just about everything. Thread usually stays in its own drawer at home.

Don't forget the seam rippers!

I get little keychain measuring tapes from the dollar store or as souvenirs and typically have one in my purse, but if you don't usually have such things when you have limited rulers a long measuring tape can be handy. I actually prefer the big heavy hardware store type with the ability to hold the position in place, but a simple coiled up long tape has come in handy more than once.

About 2 years ago now my friend gave me a modern Bernina 820, a huge heavy computerized machine. She bought a used box from the dealer with all the appropriate packing materials and we packed it up. Due to where she lives/physical issues her preferred method of shipping was USPS and it cost about $150?? to send from outside of Phoenix to next to Seattle. There were no issues whatsoever from the shipping, but if I was going to drive, my sewing machine and my computer usually go in the car with me.

GingerK 12-01-2020 07:51 AM

I would be very hesitant to ship a sewing machine. But my travel machine fits into my carry on and I have flown with it several times. Considering the state of the world right now, I would opt to drive if at all possible, and pack everything into my vehicle.

Also, speak to the relative and find out how much space you will have in their home and what kind of supplies they might already have--such as an iron, ironing board, extension cord(s), table and chair suitable for sewing. You might also do an online tour of the area to see what kind of services and stores will be available to you.

Rhonda K 12-01-2020 08:29 AM

I would make kits of the patterns you want to make while you are gone. How much time will you have to sew or quilt?

Definitely ship the items that you will need. I always double box when shipping for a little extra protection. Include a second copy of the shipping label inside too.

Mumto2 12-01-2020 10:06 AM

I think you have your machine and basic equipment figured out.

For the fabric I tend to look through my patterns, Pinterest account, and anyplace else I store my creative thoughts! I pick a few likely projects and make sure I take the odd bits I have already with me....specialized rulers, hand quilting thread etc.. I decide how those patterns will be transported.....I like to leave a set at home just in case. Then I pick a couple that I definately want to complete and pull fabric. I don’t usually precut if the whole project will be done at the other location because extras can be a life saver. Make sure you take a pattern or two that could be easily sourced beyond what you are taking or out of extras. An EPP project that purchasing 4 or 5 fat quarters and would keep me occupied for ages is my emergency go to.

mkc 12-01-2020 10:23 AM

If you can't transport it yourself, rather than shipping a machine consider buying an inexpensive one when you get to the temporary location. Something like the Brother 6000I or an Eversewn Sparrow, etc.

Rff1010 12-01-2020 11:09 AM

I'm going to agree w Rhonda. Make 2-3 kit\ packages of material have at least 1 cut and ready to go. Also - locate the nearest fabric store. Never know when you'll need something.

Julienm1 12-01-2020 12:37 PM

Will you be close to a store like JoAnn's to buy thread and such? Will you be a caregiver 24/7? Will you have a lot of time to sew? Will you have a place to sew in "a common area?'